Forschner knife questions

Brent B

TVWBB Member
After a lot of consideration, I finally ordered 3 Forschner knives. Today I rec'd the 4" Paring knife, 7" Fillet knife and 12" Granton edge slicer. These knives are awesome and I can't wait to use them this weekend.
I have 2 questions. What recommendations do you have for sharpening and maintaining the edge on these knives. How do you store/transport these knives...are there any knife rolls, etc. that you recommend?

All suggestions are appreciated.

I can't say that I am a big Forschner fan, but I do like Victorinox's case. (See here, top one.) Handy if you cart around knives, garnish tools, peelers, a therm, scissors--and the rest of the whatnot I have to have. If not, a soft roll is fine.

Store your knives at home in a rack, on a magnet bar, or, properly sheathed, in a drawer.

Steel your knives to keep the edge aligned. Light steeling is all that is necessary if you keep it up. The metal of your knives is on the soft side so don't go to town on them with a steel. A smooth steel is good for alignment. A sharpening steel (I like the Multicut from F. Dick) can be used to touch up the edge (it removes metal so it sharpens) but use it only for that, not for actual sharpening.

For actual sharpening I prefer the Edgepro system or Shapton stones. There are other less spendy options though. Using sharp knives is far safer--and it increases enjoyment.

My two cents.

I put my new 8" Forschner chef knife to work today, trimming up a packer. It was heaven compared to what I was using before. For the price I think it is hard to go wrong.

Brandon

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Brandon A:
For the price I think it is hard to go wrong.

Brandon </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Yep Bud, IMO they are a very good value knife. I have no complaints what so ever on the two Forschner knives I own.
icon_wink.gif

find a good sharpener local to you. It shouldn't cost more than a few bucks a blade, and a good sharpening once or twice a year makes all the difference.

I just got my 12 Granton edge slicer and a 6" curved boning knife. Used the boning knife to remove the bone from a small pork butt to make buck board bacon with. Quick and easy. Used the slicer to cut up the bacon. Again, quick and easy. Great knives. Thanks Bryan.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Brent Bristle:
After a lot of consideration, I finally ordered 3 Forschner knives. Today I rec'd the 4" Paring knife, 7" Fillet knife and 12" Granton edge slicer. These knives are awesome and I can't wait to use them this weekend.
I have 2 questions. What recommendations do you have for sharpening and maintaining the edge on these knives. How do you store/transport these knives...are there any knife rolls, etc. that you recommend?

All suggestions are appreciated. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's all I use for BBQ. Awesome knives!!! They were rated the best buy from America's Test Kitchen. Year after year, I might add...

When I transport, I use a knife roll. I also have magnetic covers for each blade and then I put them in a roll.

I'd love to get an EdgePro. I went a little crazy on Japanese Water Stones prior to learning about how cool and effective the EdgePro is.

My wall mounted knife bar is getting very full.
icon_smile.gif

I've got to stop reading this board!

I just ordered the Forschner eight piece block set, and I'm sure I won't rest easy until the two empty slots are filled....probably a granton slicer and perhaps a Santoku, or maybe a bigger chef...wait, now I need more storage.

Perhaps I'd better wait 'till they get here before I buy more.
icon_redface.gif

Back