Bacon Success

Did it! And, first, thanks for all the help from you all. When I cured it from Friday to Thursday, then let it sit in the fridge overnight and dry. In the morning I followed advice - see, I really can follow advice! - and cooked up a little piece. Too salty, so I washed it some more before smoking. It's delish!

One ting I found was to be careful about not using the first, outside slice, as a guide, since that will be the saltiest. Also, I might use hickory chips next time since the low heat meant most of the wood was not consumed.

Question: if i want to increase the maple flavour can I rub a bit of maple syrup or maple sugar on before smoking?

Cheers!

BBQ-Bacon--11-06-1.jpg

BBQ-Bacon--11-06-3.jpg

Looks great Mike! Glad it worked out well this time!

For the maple syrup question I do as you say, I just mix a little maple syrup with some maple sugar and put it on both sides before smoking.

Clark

Great looking bacon Mike!

As you've no doubt learned, it needs to be fried on lower heat due to the sugary edges.
I assume adding syrup prior to smoking will add flavor, and also assume the edges will be even more prone to burning if not careful.

Looks really good mike. I find it mutch easyer to slice it when its @ fridge temp. And some one(cant remember who) Used a cutting board ontop to get really thin slices. A great tip for us that dont have the meat slicer. (want one really bad)
icon_smile.gif

looks awesome thanks for letting me hijack your posts a few times to get some help too
icon_biggrin.gif

now I want to do a savory batch!

Back