Beef Round Sirloin Tip Roast

Jon Liberman

TVWBB Fan
I was in Sam's this afternoon and picked up some Salmon that I will smoke tomorrow and a Cryo Beef Round Sirloin Tip Roast. I just couldn't resist a big hunk of meat. Problem is, I have never cooked one of these, so I was hoping someone could give some suggestions. Is this a crockpot, grill, or smoking meat? Hopefully I can smoke it since I can't get enough.

Thanks,
Jon

We smoke them often (very good cut for catering), we will mop them as they cook but they need to come off much sooner than brisket or clods and rolls would.

I will normally pull them off the cooker at 125-130*F internal, they will continue to climb in temp as the rest about 10 more degrees.

If you're cooking for a large group and some will want med well, a higher pit temp at the finish will achieve that on the out side of the roast with center being rare to med rare depanding on when you remove from the cooker.

A 12 to 15 pound roast can be done in 6 to 8 hours.

Jim

Jim,

Thanks for the quick reply. Sounds like a winner of a cut. Cheap ($2.08 / lb.), quick, and tasty. I like the fact that it can be smoked, but can be pulled off the smoker at a low temp. I love my smoker, but I have been missing pink meat, not counting the smoke ring.

Some questions
- Since it is a very thick cut, how do you flavor it? Rub, brine, inject? I'm guessing a rub, but curious. Do you go with a simple rub (salt, pepper, garlic) or something similar to a brisket rub?

- How do you serve it? Do you just slice it across the grain and have pretty big, thin slices?

- What is a good price for this cut? I got it for $2.08/lb. which seems pretty good to me, but I have nothing to compare it to.

Thanks again for the reply.

Jon,

I will normally rub with seasoned salt and course cracked pepper after about 45 minutes in the cooker start mopping every 45 mins to one hour.

Here is a recipe for a mop:

2 tablespoons oil
2 tablespoons hot red chili powder
2 tablespoons mild red chili powder
1 onion finely chopped
1 tablespoon minced garlic
14 ounces tomato puree
1/2 cup Worcestershire sauce
2 tablespoons cider vinegar
1/2 cup yellow mustard
1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1/4 cup bourbon

Place the oil in a large, non reactive saucepan and saute the onion and garlic until soft, about 10 minutes. Add the remaining ingredients and continue cooking for about another 30 minutes. Stir frequently to prevent sauce from burning. Allow to rest for at least an hour before using. This is a marinating or basting sauce. To marinate, coat the meat with the sauce and leave in the refrigerator, covered, over night, or about 8 to 12 hours. Continue to baste with the sauce as the meat cooks. It's NOT a table sauce, but works best when cooked into the meat. Best with pork or beef. Makes about 2 cups.

You may want to double the recipe.

You should have a good smoke ring and still get a nice rare to med rare finish in the center.

You do slice across the grain and you can cut it as thin or thick as you like.

Beef prices are up right now so that isn't a bad price, you can expect lower prices under normal circumstances.

Jim

PS: A horseradish sauce is called for with this cut.

1/2 cup sour cream
1/2 cup mayonnaise
2 Tbsp drained capers
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp of liquid from capers
Horseradish to taste

Chop up capers and blend all ingredients well, chill.

Jim,

Thank you so much. That sounds awesome. Plus, I love anything with horseradish so the sauce looks great.

I think I am going to like this cut. It may be higher than usual in price, but it is actually cheaper than the briskets that Sam's had.

If I ever make it out to Washington, I am going to have to look you up. Thanks again for the help.

Jim,

I wanted to let you know that I made the Sirloin Tip Roast on Monday and it came out great. I filled the charcoal pan about 3/4 full and used mostly hickory and a barely burnt chunk of cherry I had from a Salmon smoke. I dumped about 12 or 13 hot coals on the pile and put the meat on while it was cold. The smoker temperature was consistently between 275-280 throughout the cook. For an 8 1/2 pound roast, it took right around 4 hours. I pulled when it was showing 130 degrees and put it in a cooler for two hours until dinner. The meat had a nice smoke ring, was good and rare, tender, and tastey.

Everyone who had it thought it was great. It was like prime rib except a whole lot cheaper and less fatty. One of my guests even remarked that this was juicer and more tender than the prime rib they eat. Everyone, especially me, loved the horseradish sauce.

Jim, you are awesome and thanks for giving out such great advice. We all have a lot to thank you for when it comes to your experience and advice.

This thread has my interest. Sounds good.

Jim, if I wanted to cook this Medium, would I take if off the WSM at about 145, then wrap it in foil and let it continue to rise from there?

I'd prefer it rare, but my guests like it medium. Medium won't dry it out too much will it?

Thanks!

Tom,

If your guests like medium then cook it a little higher 145*F internal max. It should be fine as far as moisture is concerned.

Jim

To heck with your guests, cook it right! /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

I used to wait tables and we had a policy on steaks: not responsible for anything ordered medium-well or well done. The orders were entered on computer touch screens and there was also an option for "burn" after well done. This was in Austin, TX and I once sold a T-bone to a guy who ordered well done then asked for ketchup for his steak.

I worked in a difefrent place and a guy would come in every week and get a double cheeseburger raw. As in cold. "If that meat's come within ten feet of the grill I'm sending it back and not paying!" Gross. I'll eat tartare and carpacio but no way I'll eat raw commercial ground beef off the Sysco truck.

You see all kinds working in restaurants.

Actually I'd cater to your guests. I'd rather suck it up and have happy guests than just being selfish and trying to do things to cater to yourself. If you can eat rare it's easier eat medium. Going back is harder than going up. IMO.

You can also nuke it up, after slicing, from rare to medium, quickly, and IMO without a loss of taste by drying out.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Paul G.:
[qb] You can also nuke it up, after slicing, from rare to medium, quickly, and IMO without a loss of taste by drying out. [/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>This is true. I did this for years when my dad would cook steaks. It's just so hard to please everyone.

With this cut you can make everyone happy based on the pit temp you cook at. Cook at 375 to 425 and you will have med well to well on the outside and med to rare as you go to the center of the cut.
You can make everyone happy.
Jim

Interesting thread - considering it's been going since January - hope it doesn't take that long to cook... but here's my question. When finishing, people are often holding meat in (tight)coolers to hold. Is the magic here that with a GOOD cooler you generate no new heat so that for a few hours you get to hold it at medium without it cooking much more (ie: darkening) - as opposed to putting it in an oven set to, say, 150, and holding it in there. Same thing for Butt - except that the oven would be say 180F. By a GOOD cooler I mean one of those 5 day things that are really good insulators.

Jim, welcome to the forum. I don't think the cooler has to be a super cooler. Wrap the meat tightly in foil, then wrap it in some towels and put it in the cooler. The temp will probably increase another 5*-10*, but the meat will hold its temp for quite sometime in the cooler. I think it was Kevin Taylor that said you can also wrap the meat in foil, close all the vents and leave it on the WSM to hold. Hope this helped.

Bob

hate to bring back such an old post, but i just picked up an 8.5# sirloin tip from food lion and searched here for some recipes. that mop sounds like the perfect thing.

Back