Chow-Tse (fried meat dumplings)

Tom_Landis

TVWBB Member
For those of you that are going to make Beijing roast duck here is one of my favorite appetizers, infact when I make these they end up being the main course for me and the wife.
I came across a recipe in a cookbook that came with my wok, but modified it a lil'.

Meat filling
1 pound ground pork,beef or veal
1 teaspoon scallion
1 teaspoon frsh ginger chopped
2 tablespoons oil
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 tablesppns light soy sauce
1 tablespoon sherry
pinch of sugar
1/4 cup chicken stock
4 ounces shrimp shelled, deviened and chopped.
Combine ingredients and set aside.

Below is the dumpling recipe, I have been skipping the dumpling recipe and have been using wonton wraps from the grocery store. Eggroll wrappers can be used too, you just cut them into quarters before filling them.

Dumplings

2 Cups flour
2/3 cup lukewarm water
Pour lukewarm water into flour. Stir with chopstick or fork. Mix and knead into soft dough. cover with a damp cloth and set aside for 10 minutes.
Knead dough 1 minute. Roll into a sausage 24" long. Cut into 1 inch pieces.
Sprinkle flour on board and flatten each piece with a rolling pin. Roll very thin, about 3" in diameter

Place one tablespoon of filling into center of each piece. (I use less meat per dumpling, around a teaspoon per)
Fold over into a halfmoon shape.pinch edges together at center.make three pleats at each end. pinch edges togther to seal. Cover with a dry towel. (Can be frozen at this point.)

Grease wok with 1 tablespoon of oil (frying pan works too) arrange dumplings in rows pleated side up. Cook about 3 minutes at 275 degrees.
Pour 3/4 cup chicken stock around dumplings. Cover tightly. Continue cooking 10 minutes or until dumplings are golden brown on the bottom.
pour 1 tablespoon around dumplings and fry them one minute more.
Serve hot with dumpling sauce.

I think the sauce is what makes the dumplings. My first job was in a chinese restaurant and I would take home a few orders of dumplings at least once a week. After I moved away I would try them at other places but most of them served them with just red wine vinager to dip them in. I tell my wife the could fill them with catfood and they would taste great as long as there wasa dumpling sauce to dip them in.

Dumpling sauce.

1 Tablespoon ginger chopped fine
1 clove garlic chopped fine, I usually add more
3 tablespoons light soy sauce
1 tablespoon red wine vinager
1 teaspoon sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon pepper oil I use Szechuan oil

Combine and mix well.

I usually double the sauce recipe.

Back