FoodSaver vacuum sealers any good? So many bad reviews

Phillip Moore

TVWBB Member
I want to get a vacuum sealer, in fact I went to costco today to get one and changed my mind last second. The FoodSaver V3835 that costco and amazon both have has such terrible reviews one wonders if it works at all. It has 19 5 star reviews and 24 1 star reviews so people seem to love it or hate it.

I'm not interested in buying an older model off craigs list or ebay right now, so what should I buy that is new that will work for saving all this left over food I'm going to have from my WSM? People seem to claim problems with the V3835 with respect to reusing bags. If that was the only problem It would probably be ok with me since I'm not likely to do that. I'd probably be sealing into serving sizes, not bulk pack.

Thanks for any suggestions. For this last batch of food I guess i'll do it the old fashioned way since I left Costco empty handed. :)

Philip, foodsaver is a fine brand. Buy from costco and get their return policy if you are not sure. I never reuse bags. Use common sense-keep fluids out of the vac. I think you will be very pleased.

As Steve said keeping the bag clean at the seal is very important, esp with the new models. My old Food saver seals great even if there's liquid in the seal area. My new one does not seal at all when there's liquid in the seal area. Folding/rolling the top of the bag when putting food in the bag helps keep the seal area clean. Been using the Foodsaver brand for 9+ years now, and I'd buy another one tomorrow if needed. HTH

I use mine all the time. We freeze a number of cooks now, pull pork and chopped beef is a easy meal when you have had a long day.

I heat the food up by putting the bag in a hot pot of water. Seems to work well and doesn't overcook like the nuke machine.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">FoodSaver V3835 </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
That's the same one I have.
The one complaint I have about it is, to trigger the vacuum/seal cycle, you have to push the bag far enough into the slot to trip the switch, that it uses up a good inch of bag outside the seal. Other than that, it works great!

The bags are pricey and I'm cheap, so I complain.
icon_biggrin.gif

I too have an older model that I use extensively and find it performs really well. As already stated, follow the instructions and use common sense and you will be happy with the results. Good luck!

i recently bought a new foodsaver v2060. i did not think i would be using it much but i use it a lot! i love this thing. i dont buy the original foodsaver bags because they are quite expensive. i use a generic brand of bags (bought 210' split between 4 rolls on ebay for about $70cad including shipping) and it works fine.

I bought a Foodsaver from Sams Club. It is awesome. I pulled a lot of stuff out of the freezer and vacuum sealed it. It is great for quick marinades too.

Back