Cherry Powder for Dry Rub?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bryan Rice

TVWBB Super Fan
Hi All,

Does anyone know of a supplier of cherry powder made from dried cherries that can be used as an ingredient in dry rubs? I have googled cherry powder, but most hits seem to refer to capsules and other forms designed to be vitamin c supplements.

I am looking for a natural way to add some intense cherry flavor to a dry rub recipe without adding any extra sugar or other ingredients (for instance cherry jello would not work in this case).

I have even found articles detailing how cherry powder is made and utilized as an ingredient, but I haven't found a clear source.

I figured someone here will know exactly what I am looking for and will point me in the right direction.

Thanks!

Cherry powder might be a tough one. You might try purchasing dried cherries which still have some moisture in them and further dry them yourself with a dehydrator or oven. Then run them through a food processor or coffee mill to create your own powder.

An alternative is to buy freeze dried cherries, then simply pulverize them. Either way you go, further drying your own or buying freeze dried, you'll want sour (aka tart) cherries, such as Montmorency or Morello. Sweet cherries don't hold their flavor nearly as well. Dried Morello or Montmorency cherries are avaialble at Trader Joe's. I get freeze dried cherries here.

Thank-you both. I did intend sour cherries - you would think it would be easier to find. I like that idea about the freeze dried cherries...I will place an order and try it out!

Where are good cherries grown btw? I know around Traverse City, MI there is some sort of cherry center, but where else?

Sour cherries are the crop in Mich; they're also grown in Penn, Wisc and NY. Sweet cherries are mostly grown in Wash and Calif.

Cherries, mostly sour, are grown in the EU, especially in Spain, Portugal and France but also in several spots in the former Iron Curtain countries. They're grown in Syria and Turkey as well. There, sour cherry pits are dried and ground and used as a spice, called mahlab, one I've used in several rubs but, more often, in biscuits I make to pile pulled pork on top of.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by K Kruger:
There, sour cherry pits are dried and ground and used as a spice, called mahlab, one I've used in several rubs but, more often, in biscuits I make to pile pulled pork on top of. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hmmm...I should be able to find that here in Astoria if anywhere...I guess I will be heading to the greek supermarket down the block.

I love when you leave these little ingredient "bread crumbs" for us to gobble up that lead to whole new labyrinth of flavors...awesome.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back