My first time using our old Smokey Joe...question...

Kendra

TVWBB Member
We've had this little Smokey Joe for about 7-8 years and I've never used it. I didn't know the first thing about charcoal and my gasser is just too easy to use.

Well, I bought a WSM about 2 weeks ago and love it. I then decided to dig out the SJ and lit up half a chimney of used charcoal that I emptied out of the smoker. I ended up sizzling 4 hamburgers on that baby. They did have a different taste to them....more "real" than the 'ole gasser.

Now for my questions:

-What do I do with the left over charcoal? My grills sit outside, unsheltered and I don't want the charcoal to get damp.
-I'm guessing I have to clean out the coals and stuff every time I use it???
-Anyone want to come over and eat? I'm on a grilling/smoking streak!

And the SJ is very happy /infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

Leaving your cookers outside is not good for the cookers or the charcoal. With that amount of charcoal, I would just let it burn out and bag it for the garbage the next day...Not worth the effort of saving. And cleaning the SJ only takes a couple of minutes...Dump the ash and lightly brush the inside of the joe. Grates are another story. I usually wait and brush my grates off when I fire it up again, provided it's not been that long. Hasn't killed me yet /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Now for the important part: Where you at? I'm hungry!!! /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Kendra, I'm sure you knew this already, but, you can break down the WSM in to a Smokey Joe type kettle griller! About the same height and grilling capacity would be more on the WSM version! Just a thought!

By the way, I will be coming with Bill for the food /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

I thought about breaking down the WSM, but I knew the Smokey Joe was downstairs calling my name.

I have some trout hitting the SJ later today after I cook some potatoes in foil.

Come on down to NC.....just follow the smell and smoke!

Your best bet is to keep charcoal inside, but there are options.

I bought one of those plastic grill carts at Wally World. It has a work suface, a place to store your charcoal, and I added a paper towel holder. Since the WSM has no work surface, I like it a lot.

However, even charcoal inside a container can be subject to high humidity. Get a container that is airtight as possible, and always wrap the bag tight when storing.

Back