Pork Buttage

Hayden McCall

TVWBB All-Star
I think Larry just finished smoking a quarter ton of butt over on the Barbecue forum...so I figured I'd throw down with 6 lbs of my own. What can I say, I don't have a big butt. I've had it on for about 5 hours now at 250F. The temp has spiked a couple of times, but I've done a pretty good job at reigning things in when they've gotten unruly. I probably should have left the butt in the netting it came it. I didn't realize that when I cut it off, this thing was going to unravel to like, 2 feet long. She's currently sitting around 165-170.
Per Larry's advice, I'll pull it off around 190-195. I'm going to shred it and toss it with some Bone Suckin' Sauce...then toss it on a challah roll and top with cole slaw. Stopped at the beer distributor and picked up a few cases of beer that oughta compliment the sammiches nicely. I haven't posted a cook in a while, and I just couldn't wait until after the cook to post this. LOL

I'll update this later this evening.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Stopped at the beer distributor and picked up a few cases of beer </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I like your thinkin' Hayden, go right to the source
icon_biggrin.gif

Good luck with your buttage!

I promised pics. I'm a man of my word.

Shredded the pork and tossed with Sweet Baby Rays Sweet 'n Spicy BBQ sauce, served atop a challah roll with coleslaw. Finished off with a couple of sweet dills, and some potatoe salad. Doesn't get much better. Thanks to Larry for all the advice that made this possible.

IMG_0231.jpg

IMG_0233.jpg

IMG_0234.jpg

Very nice Hayden - I love hallah roles or potatoe rolls myself for butt sammies - good choice. If 250 was you high end I say you controlled temps quite nicely, at least the meat look like it!

Heh. It's been so long since I've done a pork butt, I had to dig around the grilling forum for threads related to pork butt and pulled pork..and my old thread was the first one that came up. God...I want this NOW. LOL Going to put it on early tomorrow morning...have it ready for lunch.

Back