Huli Huli Chicken

From the University of Hawaii

Ingredients:

3 broken fryers, split or quartered
1/4 cup catsup
1/4 cup shoyu (Japanese Soy Sauce)
1/2 cup chicken broth
1/3 cup white wine
1/4 cup frozen pineapple juice concentrate.
pinch of fresh or dried ginger.
drop or two of worcestershire sauce.

Procedure:
Mix ingredients in bowl, brush over washed chicken splits. Grill over barbecue, turning and basting with sauce until it is done (about 40 minutes). For a real hawaiian picnic lunch, eat with sticky rice, macaroni salad.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

From BigGreenEgg.com:

This is just like the chicken on the North Shore. Even threw in some Char Sui for an appetizer.(not included here) Let me know how you like it. Pezz (Mix everything except chicken and let it sit)
Ingredients:
• 5 lb chicken pieces
• 1/3 Cup ketchup
• 1/3 Cup soy sauce
• ½ Cup brown sugar
• 3 Tbs sherry (I used white vinegar instead with great results)
• 1 Piece ginger root, crushed (mine was about 1 ½ square)
• 1 Clove garlic, crushed (I used 4)

Preparation Directions:
• This is a grilling method. Get Mr. egg up to about 500* place chicken bone side down cook for 10 minutes. Turn chicken over cook 10 minutes more. Turn a third time coat with Huli Huli sauce cook 10 more minutes and finally turn fourth time and coat with Huli Huli sauce cook 10 more minutes remove and eat it now! (Huli Huli means turn turn or to turn often)

Enjoy!

He has two other versions in his book. One is Huli Huli Chicken from Paradise and the other is Pineapple Huli Huli Chicken.

For my eldest's 12th birthday party we're planning to have (weather dependent) a sort of Tiki-fest luau thing, honoring the great cheese-o-rama Tiki restaurants of all time, like Trader Vic's, Don the Beachcomber, The Mai-Kai, etc.

So, in rummaging all over for a recipe for chicken Huli-Huli, I bumped into this one from Cook's Illustrated's downscale kid brother Cook's Country, so I picked up that issue, although normally I don't.

Anyway, I've tried it on the grill and, with the modifications I mention, it worked just fine. But I'd like to WSMize it, so that I can put it along with the Chinatown Ribs I have planned.

Here it is, please feel free to suggest with impunity.

Chicken
2 qts water
2 c soy sauce (I like San-J low-sodium)
1 T vegetable oil (I prefer peanut oil)
6 garlic cloves, minced
1 T grated fresh ginger
4 split chicken halves, about 8 pounds total

Sauce
3 (6 oz) cans pineapple juice (I used 18 oz of juice from a carton...the canned stuff tastes like metal. Shudder.)
¼ c brown sugar (I used light brown)
¼ c soy sauce (San-J low sodium, again)
¼ c ketchup (Heinz organic)
¼ c rice vinegar
4 garlic cloves, minced
2 T grated fresh ginger
2 t Asian chili garlic sauce (I get whatever has the fewest preservatives)
2 c Mesquite wood chips, soaked 15 minutes

Brine chicken: Combine water and soy sauce in large bowl. Heat oil in large saucepan over medium high heat until shimmering. Add garlic and ginger and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Stir in soy sauce mixture. Add chicken and refrigerate, covered, for at least one hour or up to eight hours (a bit longer if you use low-sodium soy sauce)

Make glaze: Combine pineapple juice, sugar, soy sauce, ketchup, vinegar, garlic, ginger, and chili garlic sauce in empty saucepan and bring boil. Reduce heat to medium and simmer until thick and syrupy (you should have about 1 c.), 20 to 25 minutes.

Prep grill: Seal wood chips in foil packet and cut vent holes in top. Open bottom vents on grill. Light about 75 coals. When coals are covered with fine gray ash, spread evenly over bottom of grill. Arrange foil packet directly on coals. Set cooking grate in place and heat, covered with lid vent open halfway, until wood chips begin to smoke heavily, about 5 min. (For gas grills, place foil packet directly on primary burner. Heat all burners on high, covered, until wood chips begin to smoke heavily, about 15 minutes. Turn all burners to medium low.) Scrape and oil cooking grate.

Grill chicken: Remove chicken from brine and pat dry with paper towels. Arrange chicken skin side up on grill (do not place chicken directly above foil packet). Grill, covered until chicken is well browned on bottom and meat registers 120F, 25 to 30 min. Flip chicken skin-side down and continue to grill, covered, until skin is well browned and crisp and thigh meat registers 170 to 175F, 20 to 25 min. longer. Transfer chicken to platter, brush with half of glaze, and let rest 5 min. Serve, passing remaining glaze at table.

Make ahead: Both the brine and the glaze can be made ahead and refrigerated for up to 3 days. Do not brine the chicken for longer than 8 hours or it will become too salty. (See my comment on low-sodium soy sauce...I let it go +/- 12 hours and it was fine.)

So there you have it. Any comments on how it can be WSMed will be highly welcome.

Thanks in advance,

In case you've been waiting a couple years for a replye, here it is!
wsmsmile8gm.gif

I WSM'd this recipe tonight. I didn't really need to change anything. I used full sodium soy in brine so that I'd be sure that the chicken didn't dry out. I brined for about 6 or 7 hours. After removing from the brine, I seasoned it with a little bit of Hawaiian sea salt (just because I have it) and fresh ground pepper.

I planned to do this similar to the crisp skin chicken in the cooking section, but my charcoal had burned down enough after doing a batch of ABTs that I couldn't get it hot enough. So, I smoked it for about an hour and a half to a temp of around 120.

About this time, I transfered it to the gas grill to speed things up. I grilled it med-low skin side up for about 5 or 10 minutes.

Then, I brushed the skin with glaze, flipped skin side down, and grilled on low for another 5 or 10 minutes moving it 3 times or so to get good browning on the skin. I also brushed the back side with glaze.

When it looked about done, I flipped it back over and grilled for a couple more minutes until the instant read told I was good to go.

Turned out delicious and everyone raved about it. I'd highly recommend it.

I cooked the JMGarciaJr version on Sunday on the kettle. Brined for about 5 or 6 hours, then cooked the 4 chicken halves direct over medium hot coals for just about one hour. I flipped and basted the birds every five minutes or so throughout the cook.

The smell when cooking was awesome and everyone in my household loved it!

This recipe went into my "keeper" file!

PS - I just finished the last of the leftovers for lunch today!

I am going to do the Garcia version of this tomorrow. I want to do it on the rotisserie with two whole chickens, so I will post pix and outcome tomorrow.

Edit: See my pix in the photo gallery of my cook.

Back