Summit S-460 or Summit Platinum D4?

Jered Crews

TVWBB Member
I'm doing some comparison shopping with plans to build a built-in outdoor kitchen island in the near future. Of course I'm sold on Weber and was leaning towards the new 2009 Summit S-460. It's a 4 burner, with a smoker burner, rotisserie burner, and a sear burner. This bad boy is going to run around $2500.

In my shopping around, I've found a couple places wanting to get rid of the '08 S-440 for around $1700. This is the exact same grill as the S-460, minus the sear burner. I have also found a place that still has an '06 Summit Platinum D4. This is the older design, but same features as the S-440. This store would be willing to sell it for $1200 and maybe less since it's dead stock.

When I saw that the new S-460 had the sear burner, I thought that was the grill I had to have. But after looking at these bargains on the older models, I'm not sure I can justify the extra $ just for the sear burner. So I'm looking for advise or opinions on the sear burner. I want to make sure I'm not kicking myself 2 years down the road wishing I had the sear burner.

Thanks!

This may not answer your question, but I have a summit s-450 I purchased two (2) years ago. I do not have the sear burner, but my grill quickly gets up up to 550-600 degrees and then pushes into the 700's if need be. I get perfect searing and grill marks every time and quickly

Back