Apricot Chipotle BBQ Sauce

Richard Batey

TVWBB Fan
Months back, Keri C. posted Paul Kirk's Raspberry Chipotle BBQ Sauce recipe. As some of you know, it really is a good sauce. I've had it on brisket, pulled pork, and hamburgers. Mmmmmm. Everyone I've served it to really liked it.

Well, I wondered how it would be substituting apricot preserves for the raspberry, so I made a batch Saturday while I was on another chipotle marathon smoke. I used Polaners Apricot jam or preserves (whatever it is called) and added a 4 oz. can of Del Monte diced peaches (did not use the syrup). Man, is it good. Paul Kirk really came up with a winning recipe that is kind to substitutions.
icon_smile.gif
I was eyeing the jams at the store, e.g., Wilkin & Sons Morello Cherry, Black Currant, (and on and on!) thinking of this fruity chipotle bbq sauce. Oh, the possibilities. What does Morello Cherry taste like?

If you feel like adapting this using other jams, please post here.

Richard

Richard--

another good suggestion. Thanks.

If you're familiar with Montmorency cherries, Morellos are similar. They're a sour cherry, so they work better in preserves or sweetened sauces than sweet cherries. Kind of like apples: the sweet varieties are best for out-of-hand eating, the tart are best when you're going to cook and sweeten them.

"If you're familiar with Montmorency cherries, Morellos are similar. They're a sour cherry..."

Not familiar with those cherries. Hmmmmm. Sounds like it has possibilities in this BBQ sauce, eh? What do you think? Or how about using lemon curd in place of the raspberry jam? Orange marmalade and go a little heavy handed with the chipotles?

Richard

Pat - I believe you could easily substitute tomato sauce or pureed tomatoes or canned tomatoes in place of the ketchup. I haven't tried it. If you can find Muir Glen canned tomato products, I'd use those. Just check to see if sugar is an ingredient.

Richard

Pat--
You'll get the best flavor from canned diced tomatoes in juice that you drain and purée yourself. I also use Muir Glen. Substitute and equal amount of the purée for the ketchup (in the recipe Richard refers to it's 4 cups). Since the mix is simmered it will reduce to the desired consistency--just let it go until it's as thick as you want.

Alternatively, if you want to add some natural sweetness try this (also referring to the same recipe): Start with 5-6 cups of drained canned tomatoes, puréed, bring to a simmer and cook uncovered, till thick and reduced to 4 cups; reserve. With the shallot called for in the recipe (1/4 cup) add 1/2 cup finely diced onion. Sauté the onion first, on medium heat till lightly browned then add the shallot and continue cooking till the shallot is soft. Add the garlic and cook till the garlic is very fragrant but not browned, about 1 minute. Continue with the recipe from there.

Richard-- You got me going again. I'm thinking Key lime marmalade by itself or as a replacement for some of the raspberry. I like the orange and heavier chipotle idea...

Morellos and Montmorencies are very good in sauce. I use them with duck often and with venison and elk. They lend themselves well to deep flavors (like bbq, wood, chocolate, zinfandel, coffee, et.al.). They went into a sauce for smoked steamship round of bison I did years ago and really made it work. I do a grill-roasted fresh ham rubbed with garlic and Tabasco; the sauce is mustard-based with carmelized onion, wine, stock, garlic, fresh thyme, sourwood honey and cherries. Really good.

Kevin - if you feel the urge to tell us the recipe for the sauce you used on the fresh ham - the sauce that is, "mustard-based with carmelized onion, wine, stock, garlic, fresh thyme, sourwood honey and cherries" - I'll copy and paste in my "recipes to try."
icon_biggrin.gif

I just bought a qt. jar of local wildflower honey. I can get locally produced, high quality gallberry, tupelo, wildflower, and cotton honey.

Support your local honey producer.

Richard

The wildflower honey I bought was produced by a beekeeper in Baker, FL. He works at the fire dept. $7.95 a qt. Raw, unfiltered.

There is a beekeeper in Crestview, FL that has the honey I listed. As you know, it's right off I-10 before you hit Pensacola heading west.
Do a net search for Bundrick Honey Farms.

Richard

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Richard Batey:
There is a beekeeper in Crestview, FL ...

Richard <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'll be going through there in an hour--on the way to FWB out of central Ala now.

Back