Pickled sausage recipe?

Ivan Stratton

TVWBB Fan
I made Bryan S's pickled eggs for Superbowl Weekend and everyone loved them. It was an easy snack to make and serve. I'm making 3 dozen more today and was wondering if anyone had a good pickled sausage recipe. I love those things and with success with the eggs I want to try them. Ive searched the web and dont see a recipe that looks good to me. Anybody make these and have a good recipe?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ivan Stratton:
I made Bryan S's pickled eggs for Superbowl Weekend and everyone loved them. It was an easy snack to make and serve. I'm making 3 dozen more today and was wondering if anyone had a good pickled sausage recipe. I love those things and with success with the eggs I want to try them. Ive searched the web and dont see a recipe that looks good to me. Anybody make these and have a good recipe? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Glad you liked them. You can just put any pre/fully cooked sausage into the egg pickle brine, and place them in the fridge. I'd do them seperate from the egss as you'll want to pickle for about 2 weeks or more. You could use Hillshire Farms little weiners or the little smokies, mini hotdogs, etc. As long as they are fully cooked, no problem. HTH

Thanks Bryan. I didnt get a chance to do the eggs yesterday. I bought all the ingredients but I forgot the dry sherry. I was talking to a chef friend of mine and he suggested substituting port wine. Im going to make one batch that way and the other with the original recipe. I hate to mess up a good thing but I like port wine. As far as the pickled sausages I was thinking the same brine but I was worried about shelf life because I searched the web for a couple hours yesterday and couldnt find anything on that.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ivan Stratton:
As far as the pickled sausages I was thinking the same brine but I was worried about shelf life because I searched the web for a couple hours yesterday and couldnt find anything on that. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Between the preservatives in the sausage and the vinegar, shelf life is extended a great deal. Pack the jar with sausage and fill to the top with the pickle to create little to no air space in the pickle jar. Check after 7-10 days and pickle longer if needed. I'd have no problem with keeping for 4-6 weeks if they would last that long.

Back