Juicy Ribs Is it Possible?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeff lowe

TVWBB Super Fan
I am a newbie here and was wondering if it is possible to cook ribs and they come out real juicy. What mehods would I have to use?

Hey Jeff:

I'm not going to weigh in on this with an answer (I'll let the B-B-Q circuit boys do that), but instead with the question; what type of ribs are you referring to? Baby Backs, Spare Ribs (or is it St. Louis Ribs?).

I just wanted to clarify the question, cause I'm wondering too!

Weber Dave

Well I guess it must be baby backs because when I cooked them before in the oven they came out really juicy. In the asian restaurants the spares seem to come out kind of juicy also.

Jeff
Your talking different styles with different results. Ribs done correctly will be moist and taste will be great.
If your looking for juicy then you need to cook in an enclosed in foil or in a pan of liquid, not BBQ, but can be very good.
BBQ babybacks are also outstanding, done correctly.
Jim

Thanks Jim! Before I started BBQing I cooked my ribs in an oven pan with a mixture of soy sauce, hoisin, garlic, hotsauce, 5 spice powder, vinegar and ketchup for maybe an hour and then grilled them afterward. They came out really juicy inside and crisp outside.
I found a link here about this guy in Texas that cooks his ribs in foil. Tell me what you think.
http://www.dallasbbq.com/ribs%20recipe.htm

Good afternoon Jeff:
As an 'old griller' I read the dallasbbq script with some interest. This guy is probably 'right-on' with his method because first he is describing the use of a grill vs. a smoker and secondly to attain a high moisture content what he is actually doing is paramount to boiling the ribs (as I used to do before I grilled). Jim, however, is totally correct when it comes to smoking ribs. If you are patient enough and if performed correctly, hardly anything beats the overall product delivered from a long, slow WSM smoke. By overall product I mean not just a supple, manually flavored product but an unmistakably moist and succulent, true bbq'ed flavored product. After I finally spent the time following the professional advice given at this site, I consistently impressed my friends and family time and time again with one of our favorite culinary delights, ribs! This guy's product sounds and probably tastes really good but why go to all the work when the WSM will dutifully do most of it for you only requiring patience from you and giving you back more time for good beer and fun! Here's hoping you'll enjoy your WSM as much as I do!
?.John

On Friday I tried the BRITU to spares and they came out fine but not juicy as I like.

So today I tried it on Baby Backs and voila!! Wow they were juicy and moist and fantastic!! I kept the temp rather low at 200-225 for the first 3 hours and then for the last hour it was 240-250. I basted them after 3 hours with just beer. I laid two racks flat on the top and one on the bottom flat. I just poured Sweet Baby Ray straight from the bottle over them.They were definitely the best ribs I have ever eaten!! Thank you very much to all that have responded!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back