a great way to grill chicken pieces on the q 300 w/ pics

Pinny

TVWBB Super Fan
1. Rub em: I like to spray some pam, sprinkle sum rub, spray some pam and sprinkle some more rub. The pam keeps the rub from shaking off and it also helps the chicken skin get nice and crispy.
01chicken05-15-09.jpg

2. Put the chicken on indirect. Ie: turn the middle burner on high and put the chicken pieces all along the perimeter, then close the lid. (Target temp 350 (medium heat), adjust if needed). Cook this way for 20-25 minutes.
02chicken05-15-09.jpg

3. After about 20-25 minutes, the chicken should be around 2/3 done. Turn the the outter burner on and everything down to medium. (Still looking to keep everything at 350 degrees). Flip, and let cook another ~10 minutes. During this last ~10 minutes, I always stick around, as sometimes the temperature can heat up, and that = very burned chicken, so MAKE SURE TO KEEP AN EYE ON IT.
03chicken05-15-09.jpg

04chicken05-15-09.jpg

4. After a couple of minutes the skin will be nice and crispy and your done! If you want, at this point you can brush the chicken with bbq sauce: put it in a aluminum pan, brush it with the sauce, cover it with foil, and let sit for a couple of minutes. Pictures to come when my wife brings my iphone back from the doctor.

That looks fantastic. Thanks for posting this method and all the details. I can't wait to try this on my Q. What rub did you use for this?

Hi folks,

Yeah after reading this thread yesterday,I tried Pinni's way to cook some pork sausages indirect on my Q220 by placing them around the side parimeter of the grill away from the main flame after i gave them the initial high heat grilling in the middle (for the grill marks) but when they started flaring up by spurting a bit of fat, I pushed them out to the sides with very good results.This is good as it saves me the hassle of setting up the foil & trivet just for a few sausages.I couldn't do that real well on the Q120 due to the lack of space between where the flame was in relation to the sides but on the Q220, there seems to be plenty of space for this.I'll try that with some small chicken pieces next time.
Thanks for the tip Pinni.

Cheers

Davo

Hi Pinny, good artical thanks.

I actually cooked some chicken last night along with some steaks. Using the 300q I had the outer ring on and centre off. I found the chicken stuck a bit, after I browned both sides I let it finish off on the roasing rack for about 20 minutes. Nice idea using the centre flame and outer off... must give it a fly

Thanks Trevor

Davo, even if you can't offset food on the q120, you can always substitute for indirect by cooking direct at a low temperature (~250). I can't think of anything that wouldn't cook fine over low/direct (well, except for a steak). It may take a long time because the temp is so low, but you don't have to worry about burning.

Hi there Pinny,

As Tim the Toolman often says on that TV show "Home Improvement"

"If it ain't doing it for ya, ya gotta replace it with something that has more 'GRUNT'"

Or something along those lines!!

So therefore I replaced the little Q120 with the Q220 mainly due to more space and a higher lid but the more Grunt does come in handy.

After seeing your pics about lining the chicken peices around the parimeter of the Q (bearing in mind your 300 series will have more space between sides and burner than the 200 series), I found that it was a great safety area to place fatty meats like sausages that tend to flare up on occassions, so the other night I just lined the uncooked sausages along the parimeter and left them there but turning occassionally for the whole time i was cooking then after they've browned up alot I just give them a good searing right over the fire to finish them off. I'll try this with chicken soon.I like to grill all my vegies first before putting the meat on but the meat around the parimieter should be safe for a good long cook so I now put the sausages on first and grill the vegies on a teflon grilling sheet in the middle.

Cheers

Davo

Back