Q200 indirect grilling.

Jerry Lay

Hi, I'm new to this forum and the q200 but have seen a few threads about the q200 not designed for indirect cooking. My question is that if you keep the meat in the middle of the grill isnt this indirect cooking? The burner runs round the outside of the q200. To me it looks similar to photos Ive seen of a kettle setup for indirect cooking with the charcoal at the sides and a drip tray in the middle.

Hi phil,
I thought you'd be the man to ask. I already read your thread before posting this question. I see what your saying it makes sense. I have already looked at the equipment needed as we dont have the trivet in the uk. I must admit its something I would buy if avaliable. However I've looked at the how a kettle is setup for indirect heat and with space in the middle of the grill no having direct heat I wondered if all the extra work is really required.

Hi Phil,

Have you try using wood chunks for smoking in Q200 or Q220? I tried chips and it works nicely.

I have some around the house and I hate to let that go to waste.

Thanks

I just bought a Q200 today for a picnic on Mother's Day. Is it possible to use wood chips in the Q200 for that awesome smoky flavor?? How??? Any and all comments would be appreciated!!

-Mike

Mike,

You got Q for mother's day? Sound like Father's day to me. Q is awesome. I just grilled some lemon grass pork loin on the Q.

As for I follow the usual route for the chip prep. I soaked mine for 30 min or so and placed it in a heavy foil pouch . And I placed the pouch on top of one of the burner. I did this for quick grilling

I heard someone from this board complaining that it doesn't work that well if the heat is turn down low. I haven't tried indirect grilling on Q220. But when I do, I think I will skip the soaking and place the chip pouch on the top of the grill and be ready to replace it bit more frequently.

Have fun with Q.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mike O.:
I just bought a Q200 today for a picnic on Mother's Day. Is it possible to use wood chips in the Q200 for that awesome smoky flavor?? How??? Any and all comments would be appreciated!!

-Mike </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Jerry
You can use a cake cooling rack or any other wire rack to do indirect. You need a barrier between the direct flame and the meat - doubled over foil works great and is cheap. Then all you need is a rack to lift the meat about 1.5 to 2 cm above the foil to allow air to circulate around the meat for even cooking. You can use a foil tray with a roasting rack inside. I like the trivet method as I can do many recipes this way.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">You got Q for mother's day? Sound like Father's day to me. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No, T_Kim - I didn't "receive" the Q for Mother's Day -- I bought it so I could cook for some moms at a Mother's Day picnic!!
icon_biggrin.gif

Thanks for the advice on the smoking. I'll have to give that a try sometime.

-Mike

T Kim
Sorry I missed your question regarding smoking.
I do not do a lot of smoking in the Q, when I do I use soaked wood chips in a foil packet resting on the igniter cover. I have used wood chunks on the grill but this was not successful. I do do cedar planked fish on the Q and it turns out quite good ,but only has a mild smoke flavour (which my family and friends prefer).

Regards

Thanks for the advice Phil. I'm looking forward to trying the cedar plank I brought with some fish and pork. I'll try trout as I am not keen of Salmon. Apart from smoked of course! I am looking forward to experimenting with my q200 I must admit. The first thing Ive noticed most it the lack of flare up I get no matter what I grill. Even the wife is looking for things to grill when out shopping. So looks like the q has won her over.
icon_smile.gif

Back