lets hear it

Dan H.

TVWBB Pro
... your best burger recipe yet (if its not a secret,
icon_wink.gif
) I'll give particular amounts of ingredients of mine sometime next week. I've been eyeballin, and Im gonna make an exact "mix/rub" for my burgers if you like. Just wanted to hear all your guy'ses, es.. ss.
I've settled on a tie between Alton Browns and one I tried w/ the small end of a tri tip, in a 40/40/20 of chuck/sirloin/tri, Altons is the chuck and sirloin, I've found I also like a bit more then half sirloin, but anyway:
I get freezer section onion rings that are chopped then made into rings, nice for them not slipping out of the breading, cook up the patties which i've made slightly bigger then the bun for shrinking, and cook on as hot of a fire as I can get (the patties are roughly 3/4" thick) NOT TO LONG (I feel like this is one of the "KEYS" to a great burger), till just done. bout 4 minute per side or so. SHARP cheddar (cut thick is nice) 3 slices HOMEMADE (see bacon theads by Dan H. lol) black pepper bacon, 3 good pickles, one tomato (smallish mato cause lets face it, this is a man burger) take 3 ONION RINGS deep fried crisp and place on top. (oh ya forgot the leaf lettuce on very bottom!!! not to big though darn it this aint "Wendy's", cut it to fit!
icon_wink.gif
) Top it all off w/ just enough to taste fav. BBQ SAUCE. OH YA forgot about this: throw about 4-6 decent hickory chips on the charcoal fire as well. and place cheese on burger while on grill in the last minute. And toast buns on grill a minute also. think thats it.. sorry that took a while. Def. want to hear yours! mmmm burgers. I think people would eat and respect more burgers if they only knew about folks like us. Im amazed how hard it is to get a good burger around here... how bout you guys?

Well, the one thing that came to mind is all the ribeyes I have in the freezer. Must be 30 of them, and even I dont eat ribeye enough to go through them fast enough(freezer paper not vac sealed) So I was thinking about getting a meat grinder and grinding a bunch for burgers. What do you think ribeye would be for a fat/meat ratio 75/25? should make a juicy burger.

One thing that I do regularly is finely chop onion and add it to the burger before making pattys. I used to add all my seasonings before making pattys and mix the heck out of it to try to get the seasonings throughout the meat. Then I read a post (from Kevin I think) stressing that one should not "over work" the meat, not sure why but I've changed to simply seasoning the outside.

Some people add water, I add woosty sauce, some people even add an egg, or butter, there are so many different ways to do it and thats what makes burgers so much fun. For me, the onion rings go on the outside
icon_wink.gif
Just dont forget the dollop in the middle!

thats really true about the overworking thing. I put it in w/ the meat in the food processor, distributed evenly as possible, at that point it gets beat up anyway so I think it distributes evenly enough by the time you make the patties. I grind rather course, but not to much. The patties JUST hold together until flip time, then they tighten up enough to stay fairly easy, but I have to be gentle somewhat the whole time.. I gotta quite this now I want burgers again tonight. Im really wanting these local guys to get back some angus beef but we'll see. I don't know if i'll notice a difference or not. Knowing me, probably not, except for in my wallet.

Back