Looking for a good Jack D sauce

Eric Florio

Can any one help
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Try Jack Daniel's Original No. 7 Recipe right off the grocery store shelf. I use it all the time, and it rocks!
Steve

My problem with commercial sauces is that the flavors are often blown out from overcooking and the sauce ends up tasting tired. Many, too, use tomato paste, a usually inferior product made worse by cooking, which concentrates its bitterness, necessitating substantial quantities of sweeteners. Just my opinion.

Anyway, Eric, you can add JD to many sauce recipes but, imo, it's best added after the aromatics are sauteed, and then flamed. Imo, JD works well with the flavor notes of molasses (from molasses or brown sugar) and those of fruit.

The following is a thought for a JD adaptation of this recipe:

Have your saucepot handy but start the sauce in a 10- or 12-inch saute pan. Cook the onions, as noted, in the oil-butter mix, add the thyme and salt; cook til lightly browned all over. Add the garlic and ginger and cook 45 secs. Immediately add (I'm thinking) 2 shots of JD and then immediately do one of the following:

If you have a gas burner: Pull the pan back toward you so that it is only halfway on the burner then tip the pan up and away from you so that the burner flame ignites the alcohol fumes emanating from the pan. When they are lit, return the pan flat and fully on the burner and let the flames subside completely. Stir well, scraping the bottom of the pan, then scrape the contents of the pan into your saucepot. Heat the contents well then continue with the recipe.

Or--

If you have an electric burner: Have ready a long match, long charcoal lighter, or tongs to hold a small twist of paper towel. Light the match, lighter or towel, add the JD to the pan, tip the pan away from you, then ig nite the JD. Follow as noted above.

You can of course use a different sauce recipe. But that is how and when I would add the JD. Doing it this way will concentrate its flavor nicely. After making a sauce once, you can determine if you'd like more or less JD the next time around. (If you want more JD flavor after the sauce is finished you can also dump a shot or two into a saute pan, ignite as noted above, then allow to cook and reduce by a bit more then half. Stir this into the completed sauce a teaspoon at a time till you hit the flaovr you seek.)

Back