Louisiana hot sauce

Frederic

TVWBB Super Fan
I love cooking chicken wings and usually use Frank's red hot wing sauce. I think it's the right combination of taste and heat.
But, I was curious to know if some of you rather use the "Louisiana hot sauce" for wings.
Thanks.

I have about 20 different hot sauces in my fridge, and they all have their strong points.

Louisiana is pretty good stuff, but it's got a pretty strong vinegar taste to me. They make a Louisiana brand that's just for hot wings, but I haven't tried it. They may have toned down the vinegar a little for the hot wing sauce.

I like Texas Pete on my wings. That stuff is great with regular fried chicken, too.

Thanks guys.

Going in Plattsburg, NY today. I saw Texas Pete somewhere but not sure if it's over there. I will give it a try for sure.

Kevin, you mean using your own growing your cayenne peppers?

Yes, but not cayennes as they don't have much flavor. Or, probably more often, I buy what is available or I make sauce out of dried peppers, or use a combination of fresh and dried.

Texas Pete I like the least. See what you think. To me, they don't know how to do hot sauce right in North Carolina.

I buy this stuff by the case - we used to dare each other around a tub of sour cream / milk (etc), but I go through one of these in as little as every 2 weeks.

Great flavor, it might be a little hot depending on where you're coming from, but if you like hot wings, this sauce is good - great pepper flavor, not just heat.

I like to melt a little butter in it (very little, maybe 1-2 tbsp), & then thicken it with corn starch.

I actually like to thicken my terriyaki sauce with corn starch too, I like a little sauce to stick to the wing- not quite goopy, just thick. I like bleu cheese for all wings excpet for terriyaki hot, I'll use a good ranch on them.

Here's my favorite wing joint: I bake or grill my wings indirect - a slight smokiness flavor is nice..... ~35-40 minutes ~375F

Not had that. But Mezzetta packages one of the best olives in the world, imo: Castelvetranos. A meaty, firm Sicilian olive, it has a full, buttery, smooth flavor.

I just have to take a moment to laugh at the Mezzetta website and its photo depiction of a quarter of a Muffuletta sandwich (originated at Cental (sic) Grocery) with lettuce and tomato on it, and the bread mysteriously uncut top-to-bottom.

Louisiana-style hot sauce on my red beans and rice, and on my black-eyed peas. Tabasco in my Bloody Mary. Frank's Red Hot on my wings, Chile 'n Lime variation if I can find it.

That's pretty funny. But they're in Napa County, Calif...so one shouldn't expect too much!?
icon_smile.gif

For Traditional / Buffalo-Style wings, I agree with you about Frank's.

I've heard good things about Crystal hot sauces from Lousiana - but have never tried them. (They have one specifically formulated for wings.)

If you want to try something different, and like the kind of heat that "creeps-up on you" with a nice flavor - I'm partial to the "Jamaican Jerk" sauce used at BW3. It's spicy-sweet, and after downing a few - my nose starts to run and my forehead starts to sweat!

I also LOVE Larry Wolfe's Orange-Sriracha recipe, and was surprised when even my nephew and other relatives (who normally do not like hot-spicy stuff) pronounced it a "hit".

My favorite all-around hot sauce is still Cholula, but I somehow don't picture it on wings - unless they're given a proper Southwest Treatment.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Larry Wolfe's Orange-Sriracha </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Ok, I took note of that recipe. The only thing is that I can't find the citrus rub recipe on this site.

You don't need the Citrus rub to make these complete.

I substituted Mrs. Dash "fiesta lime" seasoning and have had zero complaints. The sauce makes the chicken not the rub.

I love hot sauces. Ironically, one of my least favorite is the most well known: Tabasco. Regular Tabasco, IMHO, is too hot without adding much in the line of flavor or tangy-ness. I do, however, quite like the Tabasco-Chipotle (smokey) and the green Tabasco (milder).

Overall, my current favorite is a national brand called Cholula. Very good flavor and moderate heat. You can recognize it by its trademark wooden ball bottle cap.

When I want LOTS of heat, I use sriracha or thai chili-garlic paste.

I bought chili paste yesterday and planning to use it tomorrow in a mix with honey and sriracha sauce. I will go gently with it. It looks like an extra hot mix. amazing smell though:)

Back