Did a cook in the dark last night with lump
charcoal, the wife likes it blue and I like
it medium rare. I threw it on closed the lid
and came back in a few minutes to flip and
they seemed stuck to the grate so left them
a bit longer, then flipped and they were
really too cooked, not burnt but too tough on the outside took them off pretty
quick and gave the thicker one to the wife. I never oil my grate but always
let it heat up and wipe clean. I was wondering if SS grates would be better?

Anthony

I prefer SS grates but you really should oil the grates regardless of the material from which they're made just before plopping on the meat, imo, especially something lean like filet. (I oil the meat as well--lightly--before seasoning before cooking.)

Most of my steaks are cooked on a Genesis with PCI grates. I preheat to 600 or so and brush the grates at about 300 if I can remember. I use OO on all my steaks before seasoning, but don't oil the grates. Haven't had a problem with sticking.

You do need to be sure the grates have preheated adequately before putting on the meat or it will stick. Dirty grates will also cause a sticking problem. I don't thinking changing to SS grates will really be a factor.

Paul

I'm sorry to hear about the filets. I have a Lodge cast iron Hibachi that I use for steaks. Using lump charcoal, I preheat the grill hot enough to where you probably forge iron with it, then clean the grates with a brush and oil the grates just before the steaks go on. This method prevents sticking and gives some killer grill marks at the same time. You may want to try leaving the cover off for foods that are cooked for a short length of time over high heat. Using the cover recirculates the hot air and acts like a convection oven, making it easy to overcook. This method works well on my Weber kettle or Smokey Joe, too.

Seems that when I was growing up, my Dad (a great griller) always cooked sirloin, t-bone or strips that had a little strip of fat left along the side of the steak (too many butchers cut this strip off these days).

After getting the grill hot and wiping down the grill with crumpled aluminum foil or a crumpled brown paper grocery bag, he would hold the steak in this tongs, fat strip pointed down, and would brush the steak back and forth across the grill in the same direction as the grill grates.

The heat from the hot grill would slightly render the fat and lubricate the grill.

I still do this whenever I'm cooking a steak wtih a nice fat strip. Works great!

Otherwise, either Weber grill spray or a paper towel with EVOO on it.

Pat

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">What do you folks use to oil the grates with when they are hot? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Alan,

I use a paper towel dipped in peanut oil (don't want to use my expensive EVOO for this). The towel also cleans the grill a bit.

Ray

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Paul G.:
Most of my steaks are cooked on a Genesis with PCI grates. I preheat to 600 or so and brush the grates at about 300 if I can remember. I use OO on all my steaks before seasoning, but don't oil the grates. Haven't had a problem with sticking.

You do need to be sure the grates have preheated adequately before putting on the meat or it will stick. Dirty grates will also cause a sticking problem. I don't thinking changing to SS grates will really be a factor.

Paul </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree with Paul. I always oil my steaks with EVOO and never have to do anything with the grates except brush them down once they heat up good and hot. Sticking is not a problem for me.

Thanks guys, will be sure to get some EVOO on the grates before putting the beef on, do
all you guys leave the lid off for a filet mignon.

Anthony

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back