Corn Chowder

M

mattD

Okay Steve,
I first start out making a rue with 1 for 1 oil (fat) and flour. I used olive oil and regular flour about 1/4 cup each. Heat the oil to medium and add the flour, now cook and stir constantly for 15-20 minutes until the rue looks and feels like creamy peanut butter set aside.
Now the eyeball recipe:
1/2 pkg. Bacon
1/2 lbs. Smoked Turkey or whatever
1 big whole onion diced
3 stalks cellery diced
1/2 a bell pepper diced
1 pkg. carrots ( small kind )
4 diced potatos
2 cans chicken broth
2 cans crem corn
2 cans whole kerrnel corn ( w/o the water )
1 Pint half and half
Cook the bacon half way to render out the excess oil add the turkey or whatever and cook till bacon is done not crispy. Now add all the vegetables except the potatoes and cook till soft. Combine the 2 cans chicken broth and potatoes and bay leaf, oregano, salt, pepper and garlic and cook for 15 min.
Add the cream corn and whole kerrnel corn, and cook another 15-20 min. Add the half and half and cook for 10 more minutes. At this point I add about 1-2 teaspoons of sugar NOT TO ADD SWEETNESS but to neutralize the acid and heigthen the flavor.
I will cook for another 10 min. to combine all the flavors and adjust seasoning. Once 10 min. is up and the whole pot is boiling I will add the rue to thicken. Add a spoonful at a time and thicken to your liking.
I don't like to use a slurry ( starch and water ) to thicken, it may cause it to taste like the Pilsbury Dough boy taking a Bath in your recipe.
Except for the additional meat or whatever this can also be used for the basis for a calm or seafood chowder. The only diffrence is the seafood would have to be added toward the end, just before the rue, and replace the chicken broth with clam juice or fish broth.
Anyway try the recipe out and let me know what happens. ALOHA, mattD p.s. I have a hard time saying snow cause I've never had an opportunity to say it. I can say sun, sunlight, sunburn, hot, hotter, hottest thought.
cool.gif

Matt - This looks good to me many thanks I will try it within a week. As for adding slury (corn starch) you just have to cook it off which takes about twenty minutes.

Best Wishes,
Steve

MattD - most excellent!, we all had a great dinner tonight - Thank you very much!. I used five cans of creamed corn and two of basic corn, I cooked it for about four hours and it set up great without the rue. I used some smoked sausage from a local butcher as well as the bacon.

Best Wishes,
Steve

Steve!
Good to hear that the chowder turned out great. You can also use this minus the sausage as a base for just about any kind of chowder be it seafood, clam, or fish. You can also do away with the cream and add tomato sauce and tomato paste and turn it into the Manhattan style.
I by the way have to make this chowder for about 25 hungry free divers after their tournament. Wish me luck! Aloha, mattD
p.s. Are you guys snowed in? If so that hot bowl of chowder must have been just the thing to chase them post winter blues away.
wink.gif

MattD,

I did skip the cream and rue as the extra creamed corn really did the trick. I have a few batches for the freezer which is what I try to do this time of year before it really heats up in my neck of the woods.

No snow here in southern New Jersey - it was kind of like a joke because they pretty much shut the state down.

In closing - I really cooked the vegies in olive oil and a little bacon fat and a little butter for almost an hour - they carmelized really nice and added a very mature flavor, I then added the sausage and corn and cooked it for about four hours.

Very good! - May the Force be with you,
Steve p,s, - I will also use it as a base for fish chowders, Aloha!

Back