Crab cakes

Steve davis

So, I'm looking for a good recipe for crab cakes. My wife and I love them. We are not big on crab legs or any of that. Too much work for what you get, ya know?

So, I am looking for a recipe that is not loaded with fillers. Most crab cakes I have had are full of bread crumbs or veggies. The best cakes I have ever had was in Florida at some bar. They were made from lump crab meat, and you could barely taste anything but the crab meat.

Sorry for rambling.

These are three of the best. I hope they work for you.

Crab Cakes 1
(The Evening Sun Cookbook – Baltimore)

1 lb crab meat (lump or claw) 2 slices bread
1 beaten egg 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
1 tbl mayonnaise 2 tsp seafood seasoning
1 tbl chopped parsley (Old Bay, or Win’s)

Pick crab meat to remove shells. Remove crust from bread and break into small pieces. Mix in beaten eggs. Add remaining ingredients. Form into cakes. Dip into cracker crumbs and sauté quickly in a small amount of oil.

Makes 6 cakes.

Crab Cakes 2
(Maryland Seafood Cookbook)

1 lb crab meat 1 egg
salt to taste ½ tsp dry mustard
2 tsp Worcestershire sauce 1 tbl mayonnaise
1 tbl chopped parsley ½ tsp paprika
1 tbl butter melted bread crumbs

Pick crab meat of all the shells. Add all other ingredients except bread crumbs and toss lightly. Shape into cakes, roll in bread crumbs and fry quickly in hot fat.

Makes 6 to 8 cakes.

Crab Cakes 3
(Baltimore Gas and Electric Co. Cookbook)

1 lb crab meat 1 tbl chopped green pepper
1 tbl chopped parsley 1 tsp salt
½ tsp pepper ¼ tsp dry mustard
1 beaten egg 2 tbl mayonnaise
6 saltine crackers (crushed)

Pick crab meat of all the shells. Add green pepper, parsley, salt, pepper, and dry mustard. Mix in combined beaten egg and mayonnaise. Add cracker crumbs and let stand in the refrigerator for 20 minutes. Shape into cakes. Place on a greased broiler pan 4 inches from heat. Broil 4 – 5 minutes on each side.

Makes 8 medium cakes.

Back