Weber Kettle Rotisserie Compatibility with the Performer

M. Chesney

TVWBB Fan
I received the response below from Weber concerning the compatibility of the Weber Kettle Rotisserie on the Performer.  

"The Rotisserie for the Kettle grills is not compatible with the Performer or Platinum grills. When the ring is put on the grill bowl, the lid roller attachment prevents the ring from sealing properly.  Heat will escape from the gap between the ring and the bowl and the food may not cook properly.  The decision to purchase is the customer's, but we don't recommend it."

So, I'm wondering if anyone out there who uses the rotisserie on their performer has noticed this gap or perhaps configured a way for it to seal properly. 

Thanks,  Mike 

Assuming we have the same models over here in the UK. Yes I've noticed the gap can't say that it has really caused me any issues. It's still early days for me with the rotisserie but I've done a couple of chickens and also a pork shoulder and everything has turned out good so far.

Cheap mod: heavy duty foil gasket to seal up the gap.

More durable mod: I have read about people using rope gasket stuck to the ring to seal any gap. Search/google and you should find some good threads.

I may pull the trigger on one of these this weekend.

Any others using this bad boy on their Performers? Is the gap really an issue?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Kevin Walsh:
I use my rotisserie on my 1991 Performer frequently, without any issue of any kind. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks Kevin. Just what I was hoping to hear. Another noob question - do you leave the rotisserie tub on even when you are grilling or take it off if you aren't rotisserieing?

Joe, I attach the ring only to use the rotisserie, or to increase the kettle's capacity when I need the room - say, for a 20+ lb turkey or a suckling pig.

The ring comes off when the meal at hand is finished.

I have that gap using the rotisserie if I use either my OTG or Performer so I not sure what Weber is saying. I used to put aluminum foil in the gap but it seems to cook just as well without sealing that gap.

I remove the ring when I'm not using it.

i was at a weber dealers place sat. i looked at the performer and the rotiss setup. the nut for the lid rod could interfere. but the ring could be moved over a bit and as mentioned you might have a bit of a gap. foil or whatever could fix that. the other thing is to just trim the ring a bit where needed. the other thing is that the lid cant be put on the side though this is not a biggy. can see why they would say no because not all folks would accept a bit of fiddling around. otherwise its no biggy.

I have a Platinum and the rotisserie. Yes there is a bit of a gap between the kettle and the ring. The lid has to be lifted right off the unit but it works fine. I was thinking of Hemp rope or a small aircraft cable as a gasket so I could go low and slow. I have the smokenator as well and was thinking of trying a turkey that way. I think the rotisserie is a great addition.

Gary

Back