Greek spice mix

Looking for a Greek spice mix. I had it once when I was living in Milwaukee. The only way to describe it is tastes like a beer brewery smells. It was very unique.

Brian, are you looking for a commercial Greek mix such as CAVENDER'S GREEK SEASONING or a homemade seasoning mix?

I did a Web search a few years ago and culled about 6 Greek Seasoning recipes. If you're looking for a homemade mix, I'd be happy to send them to you if you'll email me (email is in my profile). I haven't tried these.

Rita

Brian, not sure if this is what you're looking for, but Penzey's Greek Seasoning is very good!
A friend of mine that always attended the Greek Festival on Milwaukee's north side told me it tastes great on chicken...
so much so that he believes it's the same seasoning used on the birds at the Greek Festival.
I have a large 4 oz jar that I also use on (and inside) whole chickens and GREAT on lamb chops!

Good call, Jim. Being a Penzey's maniac, I can't believe I didn't think of theirs. I just emailed them to ask if they are considering adding a salt-free version of their Greek Seasoning to their growing list of salt-free seasoning selections. They need to hear from their customers on that issue.

Who knows...I might want a "Greekier" chicken than someone else without oversalting it.
icon_smile.gif

Of course someone here might just come up with a really good all-purpose Greek seasoning that uses spices that we already have on hand, thus saving space in our glutted spice storage area.....hmmmm?

Rita

Here's a salt-free version I found awhile back that I find pretty good. I also add in a little lemon-pepper seasoning to taste:

2 tablespoons dried oregano
1 tablespoon and 1 teaspoon dried mint
1 tablespoon and 1 teaspoon dried thyme
2 teaspoons dried basil
2 teaspoons dried marjoram
2 teaspoons dried minced onion
1 teaspoon dried minced garlic

Back