Pizza Ideas...

For a thin and crispy.
I like a chicken,bacon,ranch combo with grated parm or mozz on-top.
A favorite deep dish is spinach, tomato and garlic.

Tim

Roasted new potato, grilled asparagus and parm, balsamella base; roast duck, plumped dried cherries, onion, thyme, orange zest, Parrano; roast chicken, artichoke, spinach, goat on creamy white wine-garlic sauce base; Andouille, roasted red pepper, green pepper, onion, celery, garlic, thyme, Gruyère; lamb, feta, spinach, dried apricot; ham, pineapple, pickled hot cherry peppers, sage, fontina; Castelvetrano olives, caramelized onion, Aleppo pepper, lemon, goat; roasted cherry tomatoes on creamy roasted garlic base, asiago; homemade pork sausage, roasted broccoli, onion, havarti...

Try a pesto instead of a tomato sauce. I'll usually go with a goat or feta on that. And always a thin crust.

Paul

Agreed. (I haven't used tomato sauce on a pizza in probably 30 years. Tomatoes yes, sauce no.)

Lately I've been doing this:

1 med onion-carmelized
1/2 lb bacon or prosciutto
1/2 lb chicken and portebella sausage
3 small red potatoes-I either roast them or fry in the bacon grease

I don't recall what the name of the sauce is, maybe Kevin can tell us-Bechamel sauce after you add cheese? Any way I make a bechamel and melt parm and jack cheese into it. Garnish with chives.

Artichokes, spinach and roasted garlic work well on this pie also. The skys the limit!

Steve, the little woman likes pesto as a sauce with feta cheese,marinated artichoke hearts,and kalmata(?)olives. It's pretty filling and rich. Nice for a change of pace.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I don't recall what the name of the sauce is, maybe Kevin can tell us-Bechamel sauce after you add cheese? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
If you're making a typical 'white sauce' - flour whisked into melted butter or another fat, finished with milk, then yes, a béchamel - in Italian known as balsamella, the same as I use for several. I sometimes season the sauce with herbs - sometimes the herbs just get scattered over - but I usually sauce the dough then add the toppings, cheese strewn about or crumbled on. The American predilection for heavy cheese - especially heavily applied near-flavorless American mozzarella - ain't my thing. I like cheese(s) with flavor applied on the lighter side.

Asparagus-potato:

Roasted broccoli-roasted garlic-pine nut (iirc):

Fresh tomato:

I tend to make pizzas small (I never use a pan) so that I can make 3 or 4 different ones - maybe 9-12 inches. The dough is made from either white whole wheat or a white-wheat blend, and I always add herbs to the dough.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">^^^ my favorite </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
That looks good.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Bechamel sauce after you add cheese? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sauce Mornay.

The Haifa: good olive oil, zaatar, goat cheese, and shwarma freshly shaved from your vertical rotisserie. You do have a vertical rotisserie, right?

Home made/fresh classic pesto for sauce, chopped asparagus ( 1" pieces pre cook/blanch, shock, drain), chopped red pepper (give a toss in a skillet first), grated slicing provolone or sliced provolone mixed with some pecorino, sprinkle of toasted pine nuts, drizzle with some olive oil. You can sub out the slice provolone with a nice mix of grated moz, romano, asiago. It's very nice as well - but still grate some pecorino romano on top.

I also almost always make 12" or smaller since we end up making several different kinds.

What others say above. When I make my own pizza sauce I start by roasting grape tomatoes with garlic and oil until they split, then I squeeze them out to remove the skins. This get's mixed in with a fresh uncooked puree, or a sauce made from canned tomatoe sauce, puree or mix of some sort. There is a canned pizza sauce I start with sometimes and seasoned. I take some of the sauce, heat to season separately then mix back into the unheated.

I don't like cooking the sauce before it goes on the pie. Taste fresher, brighter that way.

Big fan of using fresh sliced tomatoes as well in lieu of sauce when they are in season.

If I don't use red sauce I typically don't do white instead. I'll simply brush with olive oil, shake on different types of spices or use pesto. Not that I dislike white sauce just haven't had the urge to make it up. I'll have to give it a try.

For cheese I usually used a good sliced provolone. I do use a grated mix of cheeses also but slice provolone is my favorite.

I wonder if guacamole with some grilled sliced meat and pre-browned veggies would work?

How 'bout thick chimichurri topped with spicy grilled sliced beef?

I have done chimi and grilled beef and roasted red peppers and it works well. Cheese optional, but a little finely grated sheep's milk cheese sprinkled on as a condiment is nice.

Not done guac on pizza that I added before cooking before. Try and see what you think. I've added it as a condiment post cook, on a grilled corn-roast chicken-cheddar-cherry tomato-chipotle one - that was good.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> I wonder if guacamole with some grilled sliced meat and pre-browned veggies would work?

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Might taste good but I'd bet the guac would turn brown in the oven. Just a visual thing.

Paul

Just a few to add to the never ending pile of pies!

Dessert piiza - Brie and Pear with toasted walnuts and some chutney

Main Dish Pizzas:

- Duck Confit with toasted pecans and blue cheese
- My favorite is just fresh mozza balls with basil leaves on a tomato sauce
- porcini cream, roasted mushrooms, roasted onions, fresh thyme, fresh mozzarella, pecorino de Pienza

Clark

If you have access to a real Italian Market - get some imported Provalone. It's WAY better than most of the stuff made even in Wisconsin!

Meatballs, sliced or quartered (depending on their size) with some sauteed onions is good.

I like to mix-up the cheeses:
-Mozzarella for the stretchy texture, but it's gotta be the whole-milk good stuff.
-Provalone & Romano for flavor
-Some GOOD ricotta to balance the moisture / bring-down the saltiness

Spinach blends really good with cheese and a white / "whitish" sauce. I like the Pasta Roll recipe from "The Classic Italian Cookbook" with a filling of soft cheeses, spinach, pine nuts, & prosciutto. The sauce for this is half-and-half bechamel / simple tomato. This could probably be adapted to a good home-made pizza, especially with a little "kiss" of smoke.

Back