$1.50 Lid Holder for the mini WSM Smoker Mod. !

Tim (the grillaholic)

TVWBB Super Fan
I went to Lowes yesterday wanting to make a lid holder for the mini. Having already left a nice greace ring on the kitchen rug,
icon_mad.gif
(and not really being too fond of laying it on the ground) It was time to fab a holder. Well, what I came up with was about as simple and cheap(
icon_biggrin.gif
) as it gets! I simply purchased a "u bolt" and attached it to the lid of my SJG. 2 holes, and about 5 minutes total time, and presto, a simple effective lid holder.
Here are some pics...
100_0054.jpg

100_0056.jpg

100_0057.jpg

100_0059.jpg

100_0060.jpg

100_0058.jpg

By the U bolt sliding down over the handle, it is all but impossible for the lid to slide off or fall down.
Thanks for lookin',
Tim

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Having already left a nice greace ring on the kitchen rug </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
First of all Tim, you really should be cooking outdoors.
icon_wink.gif

Secondly, Doesn't the lid store in the orignal lid holder?
Third, I really like the simple mods the best and yours is perfect. Nice job.

great ! simple and to the point. another idea would be a simple bolt or a bent bracket of some sort. sure fixes a problem that even i deal with.

My only problem, im OCD, so i would have to have the u bolt positioned in such a way that the weber handle is in a vertical position rather than a horizontal!

like i said, im ocd. thats the first thing i noticed. Funny how ones brains sees things! haha

other than that, its a great idea.

ha. Just out of curiosity, what is it about the horizontal position that doesn't work for your OCD brain? I would think the right angle would be pleasing, no?

Matt, funny thing is, with my OCD, this is the only way I could see mounting it. Everything had to be in a straight line. I am even flipping the Weber logo on the handle so that when the lid is hanging on the holder, the Weber logo on the top vent and logo on the handle will both be right side up. (thats my method to the madness!
icon_eek.gif
)
I think attention to little details like this, is what makes each mod unique to the person installing them.
Thanks, Tim

well, nothing wrong with yer ocd issues if thats what needs to be done. i don't have ocd but i do pay attention to details. a crooked logo will drive me nuts. !

George, Good to know I'm not alone here! My wife just shakes her head, and says I worry too much! But little things like all the logos facing the same way are an important detail to me. Its something very few people will ever notice, but sticks out like a soar thumb to me.
Thanks, Tim

RG, let me know how it works for ya! I hope you love your mini as much as I love mine, and this simple cheap mod has really come in handy on more than one occasion. good luck, and remember, it didnt happen if we dont see some pics!
Tim

done! it works out just great----and I mounted the u-bolt so when it is used the wood handle is vertical to the smoker for you OCD types lol :). I also capped off the u-bolt on the outside of the lid with acorn nuts to stay consistent with the acorn nuts on the outside of the mini for my top cooking grate hanger bolts. my bottom grate is resting on the lip at the bottom of the tamale pot so no need for bolts to hold that grate. thinking of adding a 3rd grate at the very top---probably do that over the weekend.

6259D303-F5A4-424A-A05F-EEE5C0BF19B1-1336-0000014EBD7376D9.jpg

3BA1BCF9-DAEE-42C3-B90C-9EC4FD7F532C-1336-0000014EC177CB9E.jpg

Back