Rindless belly help

Branon S.

TVWBB Super Fan
I bought a whole belly the other day and it's currently in a nice brine bath. The problem is it came with the rind/skin already removed. I've only smoked bacon with the rind attached and it seems to add a protective layer that prevents too much fat from rendering.

Is there anything that can be used to "replace" the rind?

If you have smoked bacon w/o the rind how were the results?

Thanks in advance!

You can smoke the bacon without problems. I usually leave the rind on, because I like to eat it, but the bacon willbe OK without the rind. I do not think you will see any diffeernce in fat rendering.

Im with Geir! I always remove the skin after i smoke my bacon. But as i think Jeff said - If you gonna remove the skin do so before smoking to get more surface for the smoke.

I will do this next bacon run. Makes no sense smoking the skin then toss it away. That smoke will be better of on the belly you gonna keep.

I'm with Geir too. Rendering comes from taking the belly to too high an internal, or from having the cooker too high (affecting the surface of the belly), or both.

I, too, leave it on most of the time. The bacon sliced, the skin cooks fine and I like its texture on the slice. But sometimes I remove it (when curing bacon for others who are not used to the skin, or dislike it), and sometimes I can only buy skinned belly. No issues.

Thanks for the replies. It's drying in the fridge now and will be smoked tomorrow. I'll update with pics.

My wife hates the rind. I have done it both ways (even at the same time) and the results were great for both.

Have no fear... just cook as usual and it'll be great.

Back