Mavrick Rotis Probe... this will change my world... I think

Chris Stanek

TVWBB Fan
http://www.maverickhousewares.com/et75.htm

I had some issues with this Sunday's prime rib... I must have checked poked the probe to close to the rotis rod and got a errant temp reading. I pulled the PR only to find it was only 105... not 119.

It's also a total PITA to open the lid... turn the rotis off... check it... and get it all going again. I just ordered a thermapen but this thing looks awsome!!!

I just came across a thread here that was talking about it not working with the Weber Rotis assembly. I didn't get a chance to really digest the detail they were talking about, but figured I ask if anyone has successfully used one since the thread was a couple or so years old.

Can't comment on that temperature probe, but I can tell you that you'll absolutely love your Thermapen. It's one of the best kitchen gadgets I've ever bought. It reads within a few seconds, and I absolutely trust its reading.

I'm looking forward to my pen. I think that'll be a welcome addition to the arsenal.

I thought the maverick rotis probe would be perfect because I could just monitor the progress without having to crack the lid, stop the rotis and start poking the meat.

I'm hoping someone has some experience with it and can fill me in if it'll work.

The Thermapen is so fast, you won't even need to stop the rotisserie. The maverick will probably work, but it's something else to clean up and hassle attaching in the first place. My suggestion is to try the Thermapen first unless you just need a new toy.
icon_wink.gif

I haven't done a lot of rotis cooking and it seems times vary enough that I'd want to have a better idea about what going on under the lid.

It'd be nice to just remain on my pool float and not disturb myself to check temps.
icon_razz.gif

I like having being able to just glance on the receiver while I'm in the kitchen doing other things and i can better prepare for the rest of the meal.

My pen should arrive today or tomorrow. I'm looking forward to that.

Chris I have one of those Mavericks for the rotisserie that I bought when they first came out.

I did post a pretty detailed photo response to show what I needed to do to get things to fit on the EZque rotis. I don't think it would be much different on the Weber.

The primary issue was the collars fitting into the slots on the rotisserie extension ring.

I just needed to a little bit of filing on the slots in the rotisserie extension ring to get things to work properly.

Works great. I highly recommend it.

That said I don't use it for every rotisserie cook. More typically when I need to separate myself from the outdoor gear due to other tasks that keep men in the kitchen, or on other errands while I'm spinning something.

Pay attention to what they say about OPEN FLAMES that can destroy the probe leads. I have found that the stock leads handle high temps in the chamber well, but I did have a mis-hap where some oils/drippings caused open flame while I wasn't watching, needed to replace the leads.

Back