Stoker control page source code?

Kelley Nelson

Hey guys,

I'm going to join the stoker club later this week. This forum has had a ton of useful information in helping me make a decision on which control to buy.

I'm really interested in getting started on a program to control the stoker via a website outside my home firewall without having to do a bunch of firewall config.

Can someone post or im me the html code of the stoker control page? I could just wait until thursday, but I am really curious
icon_wink.gif

Can't wait to try out stokerlog too!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Kelley Nelson:
Hey guys,

I'm going to join the stoker club later this week. This forum has had a ton of useful information in helping me make a decision on which control to buy.

I'm really interested in getting started on a program to control the stoker via a website outside my home firewall without having to do a bunch of firewall config.

Can someone post or im me the html code of the stoker control page? I could just wait until thursday, but I am really curious
icon_wink.gif

Can't wait to try out stokerlog too! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm not sure how much help this will be. Without the ability to forward ports and your ISP's unwillingness to allow inbound port 80 traffic, it may be a excercise in futility. However, being eager to help, I have saved the source page of my stoker into a test file that can be downloaded by pressing this link. Stoker main page
To download the source you should Right-Click and save target as. On a PC anyway, on a Mac, I am clueless.

Thanks much, Ken!

Even if I could, I'd prefer not to make a port opening in my home network.

I can write a program that will run on a pc inside my network, read the values off the stoker, and push them out to an external web server. Then you could read the stoker's status from anywhere.

You could also make changes to the temperature setpoints on the external web server and have them applied to the stoker.

With even more work, you could have the external web server send e-mail or sms alarms or do historical charting similar to the way Amir has done with Stokerlog. (Why would I ever want to spend time doing things that Amir has already done so well though?)

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">With even more work, you could have the external web server send e-mail or sms alarms or do historical charting similar to the way Amir has done with Stokerlog. (Why would I ever want to spend time doing things that Amir has already done so well though?) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Well, you could bribe me with a good recipe for something and I could add this feature to Version 6!
icon_smile.gif

Anyone know of a simple HTTP snippet I can steal so I don't have to reinvent the wheel?

Hey Amir,

My idea was to have a program on my pc that would scrape the status from http or telnet, then posts that data to a website.

Use cases -

Send stoker data to public web -
Portal program scrapes the temperature data from the stoker over the private LAN, then sends the data to a website via http post. Website stores the data in a database.

Viewing stoker data via the public web -
A db-connected web page displays the latest temperature and status data sent by the portal program. The page could be extended to also display some older temperature data for trending/charting if the database were set up to store a history of temperature info.

If someone didn't have the means to do the custom web and database work, I bet a blog site or Twitter could be used. (I hear twitter is very unstable lately though.)

Changing setpoints on the public web -
The user could submit a form on the website that would store the new setpoints chosen by the user. The portal program running on the private network would scrape this page occasionally to check for new values. If new values are found, the portal program would then take them and post them to the stoker. The next time the portal program scrapes the stoker for status and temperature data, the new setpoints could be posted to the web page so the user would see that the new setpoints were applied to the stoker successfully.

I'm using a pretty good web hosting company that can do asp.net 2.0. They are very reliable and not very expensive. I would imagine that it could handle 20-50 cooks without a problem.

You could even give public access for viewing. One page for full version and another for pocket devices.

Sounds do-able to me.

I see. Since I already parse stoker data and post it back to itself for storage, it would be trivial to push that to another server.

If someone wants to prototype the server logic and provide the code to me, I can then integrate it with real stoker data.

I don't know who would want to fund the server costs though.

Would all of this work better than me adding a web server to stokerlog and being able to access it with ports other than 80 so it is not blocked?

It looks like either this board doesn't have private messaging or I'm just too new a user here to be given access to PM.

Can you e-mail me to hammer out the details of the page interface? k nelson at awdri ven dot net

ie: http post, querystring, and fields

Yeh, I don't think we have PM functionality.

Appreciate your help. We have family over for the next couple of weeks so I don't think I will have any time to work on it. OK to contact you after that?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Kelley Nelson:
Thanks much, Ken!

Even if I could, I'd prefer not to make a port opening in my home network.

I can write a program that will run on a pc inside my network, read the values off the stoker, and push them out to an external web server. Then you could read the stoker's status from anywhere.

You could also make changes to the temperature setpoints on the external web server and have them applied to the stoker.

With even more work, you could have the external web server send e-mail or sms alarms or do historical charting similar to the way Amir has done with Stokerlog. (Why would I ever want to spend time doing things that Amir has already done so well though?) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You might be interested in something I've been working on. I've written a library for interfacing with a stoker. It's written in ruby and makes talking to a stoker as simple as this:

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">stoker = Net::Stoker.new("10.1.1.8")
stoker.read_sensors
puts "Listing sensors:"
stoker.sensors.each do |sensor|
puts "#{sensor.serial_number}, #{sensor.name}, #{sensor.temp}"
end</pre>

All the source code is available at:

http://github.com/tbuser/stoker/tree/master

I've also begun working on a web interface using this library. You can see it in action here:

http://stoker.unconundrum.com

An example of a successful cook we did on saturday:

http://stoker.unconundrum.com/cooks/2

It can monitor multiple stokers, keeps logs and graphs of previous "cooks", and has a nice iphone interface. (try visiting it using an iphone and everything will be formatted perfectly for that small screen) We have a lot more planned, including sending email, IM, or twitter announcements.

Right now it's all pretty buggy and a little early for anyone to try it, but I'd love to have some feedback.
icon_smile.gif

Hey Tony,

I saw your post a few days back on the bge forum and was going to ask you about that. I haven't done any work in Ruby before, but it looks approachable.

I see someone has also put together a runtime solution for RoR that includes a pre-configured apache and mysql too. I will definitely give this a try, thanks for posting!

Back