Cambro 300 vs 400

Ryan Ko

TVWBB Super Fan
I am looking to buy a cambro food carrier. Can anyone tell me if it's worth the extra money to go with the 400 over the 300? I realize its a bit bigger, but I just don't know if I need the added space.

I bought the 300 about six months ago. The difference between the 300 and 400 (at my local restaurant store) was about $70. Right now, I wish I had spent the extra $70. I can barely fit 2 pork butts, a brisket, and a couple racks of ribs in there, as long as the pork butts aren't too big.

It really depends on how much food you think you will need to transport. Albeit, larger seems better but it also means you may have more empty space to keep warm if the carrier is not full of meat. A full carrier will stay warm longer then a half full one. I checked out the Cambro and the Carlisle and came to the conclusion that the Carlisle is built every bit as well as the Cambro and sells for a lot less money. I recently purchased the Carlisle PC300N for $179 plus shipping Here. I see it has gone up in price to $189 but still a good deal in my opinion.

I can get the Cambro 300 for about $10 more than the carlisle. The cambro 400 is about $40 more than that. So really, there isn't enough difference here to really worry about the money. I just want to make sure I get the right one. I would just go with the 400 but I am concerned that I won't fill it up enough. I would say that I will typically have 2 butts and one brisket in there. I will hold them until turn in time. I don't think I will really Have to hold my ribs, although, I think a pan of ribs might fit in the 300 as well.

Also, you might consider whether or not you'll be using it as a "cooler". After trimming and seasoning, I use the Cambro as a cooler with a tray of ice.

The additional capacity would sometimes be nice but I went with the 300 over the 400.

One reason that swung my decision is the handles. The handles on the 300 are on the end and raised so I can easily carry it.

Those on the 400 are molded into the sides. For one person to lift and carry the 400, it's almost necessary to straddle it and duck walk with it.

Ryan, I also bought the 300 and wish I had the 400. I do comps and if you want to carry the 4 meats, then the 300 is too small for all. So you will end up taking an ice chest anyway. It all depends on how much meat you want to keep cold or warm. As far as cold, I use a refreezable pack that has stay cold for 3 days. Temp in the Cambro just under 40 degrees. When I switch to a hot box I just transfer the packs to a cooler. If you only have a bit of meat to keep hot, I heat fire bricks and put on the bottom in a pan. You can also get barriers from Cambro to keep the hot/cold in a single section.

Good luck, no matter what you choose.

Mark

The upside/downside decision between a 300 and a 400 is, in my opinion, based more upon space than on anything else. And space can be looked at in two different ways: The space it has inside and the space it takes up.

For us, the space inside is a necessity. As a competition team, we want to be able to hold everything in one location and not have it spread between multiple places, be they Cambros and/or coolers. The 400 will allow us to hold all of our prepped meat prior to cooking and all of our cooked meat prior to turn ins in one box.

The other consideration for us was the physical space it takes up. A 400 is larger than a 300 but not so much to be a burden. However, if we had to worry about taking an extra cooler or another Cambro, well, that would be a problem for us as we travel in a minivan and space is precious.

All in all, the 400 is a single box that works for us in both interior and exterior dimensions.

Vincent,

Will an aluminum sheet pan or steam pan (like sold at Sam's Club) slide in and fit on the tracks on the 400? They fit perfectly in my 300 so was just wondering?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Morrey Thomas:
Vincent,

Will an aluminum sheet pan or steam pan (like sold at Sam's Club) slide in and fit on the tracks on the 400? They fit perfectly in my 300 so was just wondering? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Same tray size just more of them in the 400

Back