and now, something completely different

Jim H.

TVWBB All-Star
... well, for me anyway.

Marinated some chicken thighs for a few hours in Dr. BBQ's homemade Italian dressing. If you haven't tried making this stuff, you should. It's pretty darn good, and I bet it would even be good on a salad. If you eat those sort of things.
icon_wink.gif

This time, I didn't season the thighs with anything before I put them on to smoke beacuse I really wanted the chicken to stand on its own since it would be used in soup. Rinsed & dried the thighs, then put them onto the kettle set up for indirect smoking using about half a chimney of KBlue and I used 15 lit coals and one chunk of apple wood for flavor. It was very windy today, but I was able to keep the temps between 325°~350° for right at 45 minutes until the thighs hit 150°, which was about all I wanted to be outside today in the cold wind.

After a short rest, I pulled the chicken skin and put the thighs into a pot of chicken stock with some granulated garlic, black pepper and a little salt. Kept on a low boil for 30 minutes to soften them up. Pulled the chicken off the bone, then added them back to the broth with a couple of cloves of smashed garlic, some sauteed onions and some cooked rotini noodles, because that's what our ten year old wanted in the chicken soup.

Meanwhile, found a recipe for easy bruschetta

Not a combination I would have come up with, but the creative genius of my helper/daughter today was great together.

Here's a few pics of the delicious goodness. Chicken resting before pulling.
0211121752.jpg

French baguette, sliced and browned in butter in the skillet.
0211121933.jpg

Here's your plate. It was a warm and delicious departure from my usual "what can we grill and have for dinner tonight?". Give that bruschetta recipe a try, as it was easy and good.
0211121945c.jpg

Thanks for looking. Now get out there and cook something warm. Makes winter not quite so bad!
icon_cool.gif

Back