electric knife

George Curtis

TVWBB Olympian
after my wife cut up a large brisket i did today she strongly suggested that i get an electric knife or else. any suggestions? thanks,

I use a 14" Forshner Granton Edge slicer, that's kept very, very sharp. But an electric knife, does work wonders when slicing alot of meat, and it needs to be thin. Either one will work well, just a matter of what your comfortable using.
icon_wink.gif
It's the top one in that photo.

StirPlate007.jpg

Like George, I'm interested in an electric knife as well. Amazon has a few Black & Decker models with decent reviews. Can anyone recommend one way or the other. Regards.

B&D

I have a set of Global Brand knives; I mainly use the Chef's knife and the Paring knife from this set. I also have the Global Flexible Filleting Knife that I use more than any other. I do have an electric knife but rarely use it. I find that it tears more than it cuts when you put any sort of downward pressure on it. It may be just that it is old (1980's model). I keep my Global knives razor sharp so slicing any meat cleanly and thinly with them is a breeze.
Electric knives are just a convenience if you can't maintain a good edge on a knife or if you want someone else to slice the meat and can't trust him or her with your good knives. I don’t think that an electric knife is any quicker that a sharp Chef’s knife but they are generally safer (except if they cut the cord).

Regards

I picked up one of these about a year ago.

http://www.buysonicblade.com/?TrackId=2400373&Custom=&Source=

Actually 2, it's a buy one get one free thing.
Holds a pretty good charge AND it cordless! 100 bucks is a little steep, but for two knives, two batteries, two chargers, plus all the extras, I'm not unhappy. Customer service is great as well. We had a problem with the slicer attachment, they sent a replacement, no questions asked!

the reason i need one is that my wife has arthritis in her right thumb and has problems when she has to cut alot like when doing briskits, etc. as we won'y need it alot i'll just get a cheapy.

If you look at restaurants that are carving roasts and hams at a buffet table, the majority seem to be
carving by hand with standard carving knives. It would seem that this method would be fast enough. But its not. While fishing Mark Twain reservoir near Hannibal MO, our group was filleting our catch next to a some guys using cordless knives to fillet theirs. When they were done, they let us use their cordless knives for our fish and showed us how they worked. The cordless knives made the job easier and faster. I really like the cordless electric knives. But the sonicblade shipping fee is a bit of a rip off.

George,
If she wants it due to arthritis (or any strain related reason) I would strongly recommend finding a cheap electric. Even with a good sharp knife, if your doing a lot of slicing the difference with electric will definitely be noticeable by the time your done- just less pushing down with your wrist. Plus easy to get thin slices. The ONLY drawback imo is cleaning the blades and storing it. I can clean/dry my good knifes in about 25 seconds under running water with some dish soap. The electric's blades are a bit harder and they have some really sticky grease where they attach too.

There was a big discussion once (maybe on ray basso's bbq forum though) about which electric's worked best. Everyone recommended an old model no longer sold, both for ease and durability. People said if you find it used at a garage sale it was still worth it because it was better than any others they tried. I think it had a fish logo on it. I can't remember, but I remember it was the kind my parents had. I'll search and see if I can find it. FWIW- it's not the type I have and mine still works fine after 8 years.

All that said, I drool over the knife Bryan has above. I would like a big granton edged slicer, just can't make myself cough up the money for a good one yet.

Just searched... I think the knife was a much older, less colorful version of this...

http://www.academy.com/index.php?page=content&target=pr...dSKU=0153-01866-1201

But I could be wrong. Also, I doubt you'll be unhappy with the cheapest one you find, unless it just breaks. Amazon had a black n' decker for $14 when I looked just now. The only bad thing I've ever heard was some models (including some black n' decker's) had a safety switch that engaged every time you paused and the blades stopped. That would annoy the heck out of me, and might cause your wife some pain- something to look for.

I have the cuisinart (I think it was $40). I love it. Its great for carving turkey and has a bread knife too which makes short work of french bread. Alton Brown uses one so I figure its OK
icon_wink.gif

Back