Pancakes for a Crowd?

Ron G.

TVWBB Wizard
I got "recruited" to assist with a Pancake Breakfast event later this month.

Does anybody out there have a good recipe, where the batter can be made in large batches, or where the dry ingredients can be pre-blended, in order to simplify mixing as needed later?

We plan to have several people bring in their electric griddles.

As we will be doing this at a park / picnic site, electrical outlets will be limited. I am thinking of getting a few food-grade buckets, and using a galvanized beater that is normally used for drywall plaster / paint (I'll get a new, clean one, and toss it at the end of the day), and chuck it in my trusty Makita drill for a mixer.

I may also think about putting some breakfast sausages on the smoker (or maybe use it to keep them warm, and add a little smokiness, once they're done). What kind of sausage would work best for this? Maybe some ring-bologna that can be sliced-up for serving? (Hot-links would probably be too spicy for most folks - especially for breakfast)

Any helpful hints that can be offered would be greatly appreciated.

Aloha... When my sons were involved in the Boy Scouts 30 years ago we had an annual Pancake Breakfast that was a good fundraiser. There are pancake mixes available that all you add was water or water with milk. Wholesale merchants will have it. You may ask them to donate a portion. If you are planning to serve several hundred,the electric griddles will be too slow, so it may be best to rent a large propane griddle. Again talk to the rental company, they may give you a break on the rental.

As for the sausage, I would boil them first to make sure they are cooked than brown them on the griddles. It is unsafe to serve sausage that is not fully cooked.

Good luck...

joe

use a water only mix, pour the pancakes out of plastic drink pitchers.

I use a 3 burner propane griddle. You could also get a Camp Chef double burner stove and their double burner griddle.

this will be much faster than small electric griddles, and the equipment can be used for other cooking to go with your BBQs.

Like BBQ beans, OR a nice big vat of Chili, steamed lobster etc. all done out doors to keep the wife happy

farmer John link sausage cooked in mass {try and find it at a bulk store} you cook, and pull it off, it also can help with your grill seasoning.

have LOTS of pam spray available, spray pour flip, remove, spray etc.

I have done Easter Sunday pancake breakfasts for years.
OH you might also be able to RENT large propane griddles

You can follow the previous suggestions if you are going for the simple solution however,

If you really want to serve quality, delicious pancakes, i would suggest using the IHOP recipe, its very simple (most pancake recipes are...)

This one is particularly nice because

A. Wet to Dry ingredient proportions are 1 to 1
B. They are better than you think, very good

You can mix all the dry together beforehand, and i dont see why you couldnt mix the wet as well as long as its refridgerated afterwords, and for that matter it wouldnt hurt to make it all up at once and refridgerate if you wanted to.

heres the recipe,

Wet Dry

1.25 C Buttermilk..........1.25 C flour
1/4 C Vegetable Oil........1/4 C white sugar
1 Egg......................1.25 t baking soda & powder
1 t vanilla................1/2 t salt

Mix all dry and sift, mix all wet and beat. Mix all together and blend until well mixed. grill on skillet or griddle 350-375 degrees.

enjoy!

Back