Finally got some time to make my Smoker Joe

Todd H.

TVWBB Super Fan
I finally had a couple hours of free time tonight, so I decided to assemble and build the Mini. I have been collecting parts for it off and on, whenever I am at hardware store. Here are a couple pics.

I already had a gold Smokey Joe that I modded with a silver bottom.
IMG_2599.jpg

Here is the bottom cut out. I left about 3/4 of an inch or so to help with durability.
IMG_2582.jpg

Inside shot looking down.
IMG_2583.jpg

Bottom rack with clay saucer.
IMG_2586.jpg

Inside assembled.
IMG_2589.jpg

Made a charcoal basket. Its the circumference of the charcoal grate and 4 inches high.
IMG_2593.jpg

IMG_2601.jpg

Installed thermometer and assembled.
IMG_2602.jpg

IMG_2605.jpg

Thanks to all the builders for the ideas and inspiration it was fun.
Also if any one is thinking about building one, when you go to Walmart/Target to look for your steamer pot make sure you get the Imussa 32 quart pot that's made in China NOT Columbia! the Columbia model is just a bit to large, and the China model fits like it was made for the Smokey Joe.

Thanks for looking, Todd.

As much fun as it was to build, it will be even more fun to cook on. I can get 9 hours easy of cook time at 250 on mine, and adding charcoal is a cinch. With the side vents on the gold model you're using, you shouldn't have to worry about ash build up clogging the bottom vent. To fix that on my silver model, I took a stainless steel puppy bowl (25 cents at a yard sale) and drilled four holes at the very bottom (top as inverted) of the bowl and invert the bowl and put it over the bottom vent. The as will build all the way up to the holes, then fall through the holes and, if I line it up right, right through the bottom vent holes. I got lucky that it worked that way, but it works.

Have a blast cooking on your Smoker Joe and post some pics. What will be the first cook?

Pat

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Have a blast cooking on your Smoker Joe and post some pics. What will be the first cook? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Probably a small Boston butt Pat.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Where did you find the expanded metal? I haven't been able to find any yet </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Home depot Troy, it's 1/2 inch expanded metal.

Thanks for the kind words everybody!

Home Depot? Seriously?

I checked Lowes AND Menards and neither carried it
icon_frown.gif

I'm doing my first cook on my mini today. I ended up using the wire cage from a desk fan as my charcoal grate. I hope it holds up!

Where do you guys get those giant stock pots? and what QT size are they?

i saw one at walmart but they wanted 60$ for it. thats a we bit expensive for a stock pot.

i want to build one of these real bad.

thanks

sorry, i cant read, but steal. i cant find them at my superwalmart. they dont exisit. haha. ill check again

I don't have one yet Matt, but from what I have read here, you need and IMUSA tamale steamer (I think 32 qt.) And you need the one from Columbia I think, not Mexico. Read the big thread below with 22 pages or so. We will probably have to order the pots off of the internet. Some say Target and Walmart have em, but I think it's a crap shoot.

yup, gonna somehow use it for a dutch oven and as a grill and as a smoker. that will justify the 60$ AND if i can somehowe put a propane burner in there, that will be awesome.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by TroyRedington:
Looks great Todd.

Where did you find the expanded metal? I haven't been able to find any yet
icon_frown.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Amazon has 24X24 in sheets in many sizes

What I was able to determine from reading the various forums is that you need the IMUSA 32 qt. Tamale/Seafood Steamer, MADE IN CHINA. I was at Target the other day and they had the made in Columbia ones and they were noticeably wider. I got mine at a WalMart, but I had to go past 3 or 4 stores to get to the one that carried it. I got three while I was there, one for me, one for a spare, and one for a gift.

oh no! i thought the imusa one WAS made in china. I thought the colmbia one was another brand.

crap. i have no idea what one i ordered then. it was from walmart.com. grr. oh well, thank goodness they will alow returns

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by TroyRedington:
Looks great Todd.

Where did you find the expanded metal? I haven't been able to find any yet
icon_frown.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's not neccesary. Mine works great without it.

Expanded metal isn't needed if you:

1. Buy the SJG, not the SJS. (You won't need a charcoal ring)
2. Use Briquetts (To big to fall down the charcoal grate)
3. Put big pieces of lump down first, THEN put down the smaller pieces. (Will keep the smaller pieces from falling through the grate)

Save your money, and if you REALLY want to just dump lump into the SJG then buy a second charcoal grate. Its simple and it works.

I'm planning on putting some 1/2" expanded steel ($10 HomeDepot) on my charcoal grate, but I've just been pouring the lump onto the grate, and the little pieces fall through, but so do the small embers, so it burns it all. I've got the SJG. I get over 5 hrs burn on a chimney full of lump.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JHunter:
Expanded metal isn't needed if you:

1. Buy the SJG, not the SJS. (You won't need a charcoal ring)
2. Use Briquetts (To big to fall down the charcoal grate)
3. Put big pieces of lump down first, THEN put down the smaller pieces. (Will keep the smaller pieces from falling through the grate)

Save your money, and if you REALLY want to just dump lump into the SJG then buy a second charcoal grate. Its simple and it works. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You know what, this is probably exactly why I don't think the expanded metal is neccesary. I use a gold, briquetts, and a second charcoal grate.

I can see why you'd need this if you use lump. Sorry, I hope I didn't confuse anybody.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by S Mitchell:
I don't have one yet Matt, but from what I have read here, you need and IMUSA tamale steamer (I think 32 qt.) And you need the one from Columbia I think, not Mexico. Read the big thread below with 22 pages or so. We will probably have to order the pots off of the internet. Some say Target and Walmart have em, but I think it's a crap shoot. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Mitchell, the info is under the last picture in my post. When you go to Walmart/Target to look for your steamer pot make sure you get the Imussa 32 quart pot that's made in China NOT Columbia! the Columbia model is just a bit to large, and the China model fits like it was made for the Smokey Joe.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I'm planning on putting some 1/2" expanded steel ($10 HomeDepot) on my charcoal grate, but I've just been pouring the lump onto the grate, and the little pieces fall through, but so do the small embers, so it burns it all. I've got the SJG. I get over 5 hrs burn on a chimney full of lump. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
If your using lump you can also just put down a second charcoal grate turned 90 degrees like I did in This pic
It will help with lump falling through.
I run the expanded metal charcoal ring for a more consistent/longer burn and it will also help with packing the lump in a little tighter.
If using Briquettes the second charcoal grate is not necessary, and you could also get by without a charcoal ring (there just nice to have for all kinds of charcoal) Hope this helps.

Back