In the Market for Additional Stoker Blower

LarryR

TVWBB Diamond Member
Looks like I'm going to have to go dedicated blowers for my WSM and Kamado. I'm leaning towards the 10 CFM for the K. If anyone is interested in unloading one or runs across a used one I'd be interested in it.

I wish Rock's prices were more inline with Guru's; Guru's 10 CFM blower starts at $52, Rock's is $100. Could there really be that big of a difference?

Then on top of that you've got to buy the Kamado adapter from Guru and then buy and adapter to the Guru adapter from Rocks . . . it's a good thing I love this Stoker
icon_biggrin.gif

Larry,

The one time I spoke with John it seemed to me that he did his homework, and the parts he uses are the best ones he can find.

True that they are not cheap, but look at the bright side, your single Stoker controller can manage them with no problem, although if it would have been nice to have 6 by default on the main unit, so you could manage 2 pits, both with a pit and food probe, along with the blowers.

Still, I don't use my food probe all the time, for wings and ribs I just set the temp and watch them until they feel right.

I love my Stoker also...I feel spoiled with it...

Larry,

I just purchased a new 10 CFM fan setup for my Stoker. I think the reason the price is so high is that it requires a new power supply as well. The power supply looks like it's from a laptop and the 10 CFM fan is quite a tank as well.

Joe, Ah, so it doesn't run off the Stoker's power supply huh? Well that makes more sense then. Do you mind if I ask what you connect your 10 CFM unit to?

And yes Alan, I feel spoiled with my Stoker as well. Used her just today to monitor a cook (don't have the adapter for my other cooker yet) and it was awesome running Stokerlog on the laptop and getting my email updates even though I was controlling the cooker manually.

Larry,

The new power supply actually replaces the original one so the fan is still powered by the stoker unit. I'm at work but I'll shoot some pictures when I get home. The fan is HUGE and I would think it to be overkill for a cooker like my Big Green Egg. I recently built a Stumps Clone and plan on using the fan on it. I have to say I kind of wonder if 10 CFM is a little more than I need for this thing, I guess I'll find out when I get a reducer.

edit: For what it's worth I've been using a 4 CFM fan to run my BGE for the past 1.5 years and have found it to be more than adequate. I'll try to post side by side pictures tonight.

DSCF4631.JPG

DSCF4634.JPG

Interesting that he now includes the "laptop style" power supply.

I bought a complete setup about 1 1/2 - 2 years ago with the 10 CFM blower as part of the package. I had frequent issues with temps being different when the blower was on versus when it was off. John had me send the entire setup back to him so he could check it out. When it shipped back to me it had the "laptop style" power supply instead of the original one. As i suspected at the time the larger blower must need a higher current power supply.

I have always gotten great service from John. Recently i had some probes burn up, which he replaced for me without any problem.

As others have said. don't waste your time with email, you need to get him on the phone.

Jeff

Back