Mahi Mahi help

Ivan Stratton

TVWBB Fan
One of my wifes coworkers gave us a nice fillet of Mahi Mahi. Im planning on grilling it on the Performer. Does anyone have any tips or recipes? Im not flying blind here but I always look to this board for advice. My plan at this point is to season with salt and pepper and maybe a little Old Bay,cook over medium high heat, sprinkle with lemon juice and maybe a little clarified butter.

That will work. I would paint the dolphin with clarified first though. Make sure your grate is well-cleaned and -oiled first too.

A popular item on my menu (a hundred years ago) was grilled dolphin with mango-red bell pepper salsa. Another was grilled dolphin with mango cream. (Mango goes well with the fish.) I also like it with lemon and capers and a little thyme, or with shallot and a little ginger, garlic, lemon and wine.

Thanks for the reply Kevin.I make a Mango Chutney that I serve woth jerk dishes and my wife loves it. Mango Cream sauce sounds like it would be right up her alley. Do you mind sharing the recipe?

Simply sauté a minced shallot in clarified till barely softened, about a min, then add a little bit of minced garlic. Cook till the garlic is fragrant, about 30 secs, not allowing it to brown. Deglaze with 2 T cheap white wine (or use filtered clam juice, or chicken stock, or water) and reduce by half. Add the flesh of one mango, diced, and toss till heated. Add several Tbls of heavy cream (amybe 6 or so) and a sprinkling of pepper (use green peppercorns if at hand). Cook the mix till the cream is reduced by half. Purée well then force through a chinois or fine strainer. (Can cool and reserve in the fridge ahead of time. Return to low heat for service.) Return the sauce to the pan over low heat. Adjust consistency by reducing gently further, or by adding a little water, juice or stock. Add salt to taste, a pinch of sugar or two, if desired, and, off heat, just before service, a few drops of lime or lemon. Plate; garnish the fish with s sprig of cilantro or thyme, or top with microgreens; serve.

Thank you Kevin for the recipe. I made the Mango Cream Sauce tonight. When I thought about it I changed my mind on how to prepare the Mahi. I thought with the cream sauce I might want something a little spicy. I had some Walkers Wood Jerk Sauce in the fridge so I painted the Mahi with that and grilled it over about a 425 lid temp fire. I had some fresh squash that I cut into slices and I layered it in a foil pan with onions, chicken bouilion granules and butter. I foiled the pan and put it on indirect while I was doing other stuff. I made some basmati rice with diced jalepenos, onions and garlic to serve along side of the Mahi and squash. I didnt realize until I plated that everything that I had made was yellow. I took some pics and I will try to post but it will be my first pic post so it might take a bit. Dinner however was a hit. I made the rice a little to spicy but the cream sauce worked great to put out the fire.

Pics I hope

The paint was a great idea. I'm glad your dinner went well. Do try to post pics. Would love to see it!

Back