My Mama's Best Coleslaw

Rita Y

TVWBB Emerald Member
Kevin’s coleslaw made me think of my mother’s recipe, the one I make most of the time. Hope you enjoy it.
Rita

MY MAMA'S BEST COLESLAW
Makes about 8 cups. The cabbage mixture can be tossed with the dressing 1 day ahead. For North Carolina pulled pork sandwiches, add some Lexington-Style Barbecue Sauce. This recipe works best with fresh cabbage, rather than a coleslaw mix. If you must use a bagged mix, skip the wilting stage, toss with the dressing, add salt to taste, and refrigerate for a few hours before serving.

Buy a 2 3/4-pound (44 oz) head cabbage (save large outside leaves to line a serving bowl), quarter and core it, and shred with the 2 mm blade of a processor (Makes about 2 1/2 pounds [40 oz, 1134 g] shredded cabbage)

3 ounces (85 g) medium-shredded carrots (about 2 large)
1/2 large green pepper, 1/2 inch dice or chopped (save 3 pepper rings for garnish, if desired)
1 thin slice onion, chopped
5 teaspoons Diamond Crystal kosher salt OR 3 3/4 teaspoons Morton kosher salt, OR 2 1/2 teaspoons table salt

2/3 of any one of the dressing variations below

1. In a large (5–8-quart) bowl, combine the green pepper, onion, carrots, and cabbage. Toss with the salt. Transfer to a large colander and set the colander back in the same bowl. Weight the vegetables with a 1-gallon freezer-weight zippy bag 3/4 filled with cold water. Let stand for at least 2 hours, or up to 4 hours, to drain. Discard the juices from the bowl occasionally.

NOTE: With this method, you won’t have to squeeze out the excess liquid from the salted vegetables.

2. Taste the cabbage mixture and if it seems salty, give it a rinse with cold water. Drain and squeeze out excess liquid.
Fluff the vegetables, then pour 2/3 of the dressing over them. Toss to mix well. If necessary, add remaining dressing.

Leftover dressing may be used on tossed salads (see Notes below for additional uses). Thin with buttermilk if too thick. If not quite enough dressing, add a bit of mayonnaise.

3. Cover and refrigerate for at least 4 hours before serving. After 2 hours, taste for seasoning. Add salt and/or lemon juice, if necessary.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Choice of Dressings:

#1 - ORIGINAL COLESLAW DRESSING.

1 large egg
1/8 teaspoon dried tarragon
1/2 teaspoon dry mustard (Colman's is very good)
1 teaspoon coarse Dijon mustard (Country Style)
1/4 teaspoon celery seed
A grind of white pepper
1 medium clove garlic, crushed
2 teaspoons sugar
1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
1 tablespoon tarragon vinegar
1 cup canola or vegetable oil
2 green onions, white and some of the green parts, in 1-inch pieces

1. Place egg, tarragon, mustards, celery seed, white pepper, garlic, sugar, lemon juice, and vinegar in a food processor bowl. With the processor running, very slowly drizzle the oil through the feed tube and process until the dressing is slightly thickened. Scrape down the sides and process briefly again to blend well. The dressing will thicken more as it stands. Add the green onions to the dressing and pulse until they are finely chopped, but not puréed. Set the dressing aside.

#2 - COLESLAW DRESSING MADE WITH COMMERCIAL MAYONNAISE
This one is moderately low fat if you use Hellmann’s Light mayonnaise. Combine ingredients and let stand, refrigerated, until needed to toss into the cabbage mixture.

1 cup homemade mayonnaise, OR 1 cup (7.8 oz, 220g) Hellmann’s regular mayonnaise
2 teaspoons sugar
1/4 teaspoon celery seed
1/16 teaspoon dried tarragon
A grind of white pepper
2 green onions, minced
1 medium clove garlic, minced

# 3 - LOWEST FAT, BUT STILL CREAMY, COLESLAW DRESSING. (1 1/4 cups)
(This is the dressing that I use most of the time.) Combine ingredients and let stand, refrigerated, until needed to toss into the cabbage mixture.

1/2 cup Homemade Light Mayonnaise, OR 1/2 cup (4.2 oz, 120g) Hellmann’s Light mayonnaise
1/2 cup (4.2 oz, 120g) reduced fat (40%) sour cream
2 teaspoons sugar
1/4 teaspoon celery seed
1/16 teaspoon dried tarragon
A grind of white pepper
2 green onions, minced
1 medium clove garlic, minced

NOTE. The coleslaw, especially when made with the #3 Lowfat Dressing, should NOT be served right away. It is important to let the coleslaw stand in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours, preferably overnight for the flavors to develop properly. No one would guess this variation is so low in fat—the coleslaw is quite creamy.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
NOTES: One of our highly esteemed members suggests that this would be good as an accompaniment to many things: ”…but I can really see it with grilled or seared fish, especially a thick white fish like dolphin or halibut. A little extra dressing could be made and painted on the fish while it grilled, served on a bed of grilled fennel and grilled radicchio on one side of the plate and, perhaps drizzled with roasted red pepper coulis; your slaw piled at center and a couple grilled or roasted potato wedges flecked with a lemon zest-parsley mince.
“It would be great as a topping for grilled fish or chicken tacos as well and a wonderful side for a quiche or strata brunch plate.”

Edit: Increased draining time by 1 hour and slightly reduced salt quantity used to wilt the cabbage. - RY

Hi Rita... I made this slaw today, using option 2 for the dressing. We loved the dressing, but the assembled slaw was too salty. I used 1 1/2 T of Morton kosher salt on the veggies. Was I supposed to rinse the salt off before putting on the dressing?

Ron, sorry, I didn't see your post until today.

I'm sorry that happened to you. It's possible that your cabbage might have weighed a little less than the size I use, or you might have trimmed yours a little more thoroughly and wound up with a little less shredded cabbage. Did you check to see if you had 40 ounces of shredded cabbage?

How long did you let it drain in the colander? One hour might not be long enough to drain off the salt with the cabbage juices. I changed the recipe to read 2 to 4 hours.

How long after making it did you eat it? It generally is very slightly on the salty side immediately after mixing in the dressing which has no added salt, but after 4 hours or so it should be fine.

I'm glad you mentioned the salt problem. I've amended the recipe so people will check the cabbage mixture before adding the dressing and I also cut back on the salt used to wilt the cabbage a bit.

Rita

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rita Y:
Ron, sorry, I didn't see your post until today.

I'm sorry that happened to you. It's possible that your cabbage might have weighed a little less than the size I use, or you might have trimmed yours a little more thoroughly and wound up with a little less shredded cabbage. Did you check to see if you had 40 ounces of shredded cabbage?

How long did you let it drain in the colander? One hour might not be long enough to drain off the salt with the cabbage juices. I changed the recipe to read 2 to 4 hours.

How long after making it did you eat it? It generally is very slightly on the salty side immediately after mixing in the dressing which has no added salt, but after 4 hours or so it should be fine.

I'm glad you mentioned the salt problem. I've amended the recipe so people will check the cabbage mixture before adding the dressing and I also cut back on the salt used to wilt the cabbage a bit.

Rita </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No worries... We like the recipe, so I just want to make sure that I do better next time!

I didn't weigh the shredded cabbage, but the head started out at 3 lbs, so it was probably pretty close. I let it drain 90 minutes because i was running out of time. I had to get out he door for some family stuff. The assembled slaw sat for about 5 hours before we ate it.

The slaw was good, just a little too salty, so maybe letting the veggies drain longer would do the trick. I'll try it again over the next coupl eof weeks with the changes and let you know!

Thanks for the quick response!

Back