How to take GREAT close-up pictures of anything - including your BBQ! *****

Dan Wicker

TVWBB Fan
I won't take credit for writing this mini-tutorial, but I have noticed some people taking pics of their Q and not really doing that great-tasting food justice.
icon_smile.gif

I copy-pasted this from another forum I'm on.

---snip---

I am posting this thread in hopes that we can spread the word how simple it is to get stellar pictures from just about any camera out there. Yes even the cheapest ones will produce great close-ups if done correctly. It's so simple you'll kick yourself once you take your first one.

Here's how simple it is.

Most digital cameras I've come across have what's called a "Macro" mode. This mode is specifically for taking close up pictures. The setting on all cameras I've seen have an icon that looks like a little flower for the Macro mode. Here's a few examples...

ccu_2_180.jpg
ZBACK.jpg
51GKD1R4NJL._SS400_.jpg

OK so you can see that the two cameras pictured above have the Macro icon located around the selector joystick? I have also seen other cameras like my own, a Sony, that requires cycling through the "focus" menu until the Macro is reached. However you get there the result it the same... outstanding close up pictures that will wow your potential buyers.

Once your camera is in Macro mode here's what you do.

#1) First make sure the subject is well lit, preferably in natural daylight. I have found daylight produces the best images overall. I try to use the natural light indirectly however. This way a flash will likely not be necessary at all but you can experiment to see what looks best.

#2) Compose your photo, i.e. arrange the subject in the frame how you want.

#3) This step is where the trick is. Slightly depress the button but not all the way while holding the camera in position. If you watch the LCD screen you will see the camera focus in on the subject. Once the camera is locked in on your subject depress the button the rest of the way.

Voila!! You have just taken a a great close up photo!

So that's it. Pretty simple stuff once you know where the Macro function is on your camera.

If you have any questions please ask them. If I can help improve your photos in any way I will.

Here's a few examples of photos I've taken with a 7 year old 2.1MP Sony Cybershot...

500s.jpg

DSC00569.jpg

DSC00122-1.jpg

DSC00123.jpg

DSC00100.jpg

You get the idea.
icon_smile.gif

Thank you!
icon_cool.gif
Most cameras, now-a-days, have this feature and so many don't use it, let alone know about it. Nothing is more irritating than seeing a blurred, close up of food when you're hongry!
icon_biggrin.gif

Something I'd like to add here, if I may, is using a home built photography-light box. I built a modified version of this one and have seen excellent results from it.

Bill

Nope, actually a car audio forum, of all things. But the writer did admit a fascination with Mag Lites, Glocks, and.. car audio.
icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Brandon A:
Doh! you gave out my secret!
icon_biggrin.gif
Got any of that magic foil left Bryan?
icon_wink.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>
LMFAOROFLOL!!!
icon_biggrin.gif
Seems Lots O Peeps are unaware of the flower symbol Bud, NO?
icon_smile.gif

Back