E320 porcelain enameled cast iron grill

G

Hi, First posting - new to the bulletin board.
I just bought a new E320 with the porcelain enameled cast iron cooking surface.
Honestly, it looks like regular cast iron to mebut has a slight sheen to it.
I have seen other makes of grills at HD that have porcelain coated grills and they are very shiny and look like they might be better.
Are these weber grill surfaces really porcelain coated? Do I need to do anything to prepare or season them before I cook on them?

Many thanks!!

Allen Hyman
Acworth, GA

Weber switched to a different type of porcelain coating. It has more of a flat finish, but I believe it's supposed to be longer lasting. Those shiny grates start to flake off into your food after a while. Think peeling paint.

The grate on my Q is the same way. I just cook on it, then during the next pre-heat, I GENTLY brush it off with a brass brush, then lightly wipe on some oil.

PS, welcome to the board.

The PCI grates on your e320 is much much much better than the shiny Porcelain grates you see elsewhere, including the weber spirits etc.

I have Stainless Steel 7mm grates on my EP-320 Genesis, and I'm contemplating replacing them with the ones you got. $50.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Joe Dang:
The PCI grates on your e320 is much much much better than the shiny Porcelain grates you see elsewhere, including the weber spirits etc.

I have Stainless Steel 7mm grates on my EP-320 Genesis, and I'm contemplating replacing them with the ones you got. $50. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Joe,
I have been kicking around the idea of switching my SS grates for PCI also-I would love to hear your reasoning behind a change.

Also,
does anyone want to chime in and offer the differences between the SS and PCI grates?

Coming from charcoal, I expect a certain amount of heat/sear from my grill. I notice that my grill gets good and hot, 600F within 10 minutes, and that initial sear is good, but thereafter, not so much. They heat up quick, but also lose that heat fairly quick. As some tings are not going to be cooked at 600F obviously, I turn down the burners to get a good cooking temp, but by the time I flip, there is no heat left in the grates for a good sear. Nitpick I know.

But after burning my hand on a cast iron skillet 30 minutes after removing from the heat (hot coals) through a wet towel, I really know the heat retention properties of cast iron. I shall never doubt the heat retention qualities of CI ever again!
icon_biggrin.gif

I think the heat retention qualities of the PCI grates are that much mo bettah.

The grates on my Genesis 1000 Craigslist find are in less than perfect condition (somewhat rusty, have a rough texture to them, so it's hard to get food to release cleanly)

For a set of replacement grates, I was thinking Stainless would be best.

They don't make PCI grates for the Genesis 1000, right? Just PCE, Stainless, and Cast Iron?

AFAIK, they dont' even make cast iron anymore. But by the power of deduction, I think these will fit:

http://www.amazon.com/Weber-7526-Cooking-Grate/dp/B000WEOQH2

First, if you look here, http://www.acehardwareoutlet.com/(betis2ugpejhac55l4j4i...ls.aspx?SKU=8100372, you'll see the grates there fid gen silver b and c, gold b and c, and your genesis 1000. then if you go to the amazon link, those grates fit the silver b and c, which means it should fit yours.

You can measure and ensure, or in the alternative, give Weber a call, they'll definitely answer your question if possible.

I notice weber has the 7527 on their site, but not the 7526. So I'd snatch up one or two just in case ...
icon_wink.gif

Back