TOTALLY CONFUSED (or just stupid!)

John Winner

TVWBB Member
I have never been so confused on which stoker to purchase! Everything I read about both the "Stoker" & the "DigiQ 11" are mostly all good. I am new to smoking (about 8 months)and have a brand new WSM that just arrived this week. I used to use a Charbroil offset smoker which I had to baby sit constantly due to the poor "leaky" design. I am hoping my WSM will help eliminate that so I can either sleep or spend time with friends. I read bad things about customer service on the Stoker & great things on service with the DigiQ 11. I read great things on how you can "monitor" by your computer with the Stoker and you can't with the Digi!!! Why doesn't someone combine the main features of both and add $50 to the price?
Anyone with a suggestion on which one will be VERY much appreciated! Thanks.

Why not try the WSM a few times without it first? I know a lot of folks here like the controllers, but most of us (I assume) don't use them.

I will try it first but, all I hear is how much "nicer" it is with the control units. I know it costs a few bucks but, if it does give you more sleep or more time with your friends it is worth it. I appreciate your comments,thanks.

John,
I am a relatively long-term WSM owner and user of the BBQGURU Competitor (predecessor to DigiQ). WSM is a great smoker, and you'll find lots of detailed documentation about setting the upper and lower (primarily) vents, amount of wood, etc. on this site. I chose to go very early on with a controller (ignoring for a minute which is "better", the guru or the stoker) simply because I am lazy and on long cooks I don't want to worry about getting up in the middle of the night, or worrying setting differences for wind or rain, etc. And the Guru has been ideal! I have done dozens of cooks with it (and very few w/o, although when power goes out its easy to convert back to the standard approach to WSM smoking as dicussed all over this website). I use the Minion method, set the unit and go about my business (whether that's going to bed at night when cooking butts or briskets or off running errands when cooking shorter-duration meats).

Joel is right - you should probably try without either because the WSM is so good, but that's the "why" behind my decisions).

Thanks Steve & Joel,
I will give it a try a few times without any controlled devices. I am starting to lean towards the guru as it sure sounds like (after reading many posts) that it is simpler, dependable,service friendly (can contact vendor), weather RESISTANT (not proof)and a little less expensive than the stoker probably due to less flexability (probes,more smoker control,network access). Please correct me if I am wrong. Thanks again, I really like this website!!!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by John Winner:
Thanks Steve & Joel,
I am starting to lean towards the guru as it sure sounds like (after reading many posts) that it is simpler, dependable,service friendly (can contact vendor), weather RESISTANT (not proof)and a little less expensive than the stoker probably due to less flexability (probes,more smoker control,network access). Please correct me if I am wrong. Thanks again, I really like this website!!! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Both Guru's DigiQ II and the Pitminder are quite simple. If you just want to control the pit temperature, the Pitminder is a great bargain. I have both a Pitminder and the predecessor to the DigiQ, but I use the latter just to control the pit temp most of the time. I use NuTemps on longer cooks to monitor the pit and the meat, and the advantage there is that the Nutemps are remote. Set the receiver next to the bed and sleep knowing I can just roll over and check the temps.

They both work well and it just comes down to whether you want to be able to control the temperature controller through the PC (and potentially remotely over the internet) or not. They are both are reliable and while you may not get an e-mail confirmation on your Stoker order (although I believe Rock has changed this practise) he is a stand-up guy and always delivers what you have ordered. I don't think you can go wrong with either choice.

Thanks Dudley & A.Vale, guess I just have to take my time and do a few cooks on the WSM before I make a decision. I really appreciate the responses and figure I really can't go wrong with either unit. I did notice that it is less expensive to order the Stoker with seperate devices (fan,adapter) than in a package deal? Probably a mistake. One other thing I am confused about is do I go with the 4 or 5 CFM fan instaed of going with the 10 CFM option? Is this a good upgrade on either unit or will I be fine with the "standard" package with the less CFM fans? Thanks again! I love this web site!

I use the Guru have many ,Pitminder,DigiQ, Pro Comm and all sizes of fans.My recommendation is a DigiQ 11 with a 10 cfm fan. The ramp mode is such a big thing that I would pass on the pitminder. Also the new lid off feature the DigiQ has is a blessing.The 10 cfm fan will help on less then perfect conditions.Don't wait these units be a Guru or a stroker is what makes your smoker a set it and forget it tool. I will put a brisket on set it and when I start to get the smell hours later I know it is getting close.I know it is a little hard spending almost as much as you spent on the smoker. It is the missing piece of the puzzle.

Thanks Jim, I agree with "it's a little hard to spend as much as the smoker" DigiQ 11 sounds like the best bet with 10 CFM fan. Now all I have to do is convince my smarter half that I am going to spend another $250 (smoker only costs $199) on a gadget that she will think I don't need! This will cost me dearly as she will say that I spent $450 on a smoker and now she is going SHOPPING!!! God help me.

Thanks again for the info.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Steve Feller:
although when power goes out its easy to convert back to the standard approach to WSM
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Let the power go out. Here's another nice feture of the Guru. Get a cheap car jumper battery pack ($30.00) and you don't have to worry about extension cords and where to plug in at.
icon_wink.gif

BeefRibsButt001.jpg

Hey Bryan,

Another plus for the digiQ 11. Your battery pack looks like a portable radio! I do have a generator (5600 watt Honda) which could run either unit but, it's a lot easier to hook up to a battery. Thanks for the picture. Eventually, I will post my pictures (probably of me being shot by my wife!!)

I bought my stoker at the same time as my smoker and couldn't be more pleased. It has really turned into a hobby within a hobby. It is a great conversation piece when you show what you can do with the computer. So if you don't become a good cook, you have something else to fall back on
icon_smile.gif

I believe having a complete record of a cook to look at in the morning and share and discuss with others, allows you to become a better cook and understand how your smoker works best. Many times we have had threads with people posting graphs here asking what happened.

At the same time, I would not want to use the box without the computer much, nor does it feel good to order something and not having clear confirmation of where your order is.

Hi Amir,
I have read a lot of your posts and understand you have written a software program for the Stoker. I haven't ruled out the Stoker as yet. I am surprised that when I called Stoker today, I thought someone would at least return my call today. I left a message asking whether a 5 CFM was good enough for my WSM? I also asked how long (if I ordered one) it would take to receive? Sounds like they have absolutely NO customer service (which I would think would eventually put them out of business???) I know this would happen to any other company after a while. I do like the idea of computer hook-up but, I am a little nervous about their operation. Thanks for the reply, it is appreciated as is all the replies.

John,
I think you'll be happy with either one of the two. If you are into computers, and enjoy all the bells and whistles, well then I would go with the Stoker. If your a little overwhelmed by all the different setups you will need then I would suggest the DIGIQII, it's simple. It's so simple ; even a caveman can do it, better yet it's so simple, even a dumb--- like me can do it. Good luck with your decision, and above all good "Q"ing...

Hi John. Rock, the owner of stoker, is incredibly behind the workload that an operation like this requires. The positive side of this is that he has built us technology which normally would cost 2 to 3 times as much to sell, if he were to have proper staff for it. And even then, I don't think it would be profitable. I can build everything he has but would not do so in a million years.

Good news is that once you get a box, there are number of people here ready to support it. So you just need the man to ship you the box. And he does that, albeit, painfully. I have been able to add many features to the box without needing Rock to do anything.

To add to above, if I had to charge Rock for the software, and amortize it over the number of boxes he has sold, it would probably add up to $100 or more per unit! I have lost track of the hundreds of hours I have put in it. So the value of combined offering is huge.

On the fan, others here should be able to answer the question. I have the 4 CFM fan and it works great for me but I don't have a WSM. The larger fan can make a hotter fire, but it also goes on and off more often. It is best in my opinion, to get the smallest fan that does the job so that it keeps the air flow constant.

As to Rock going out of business, that is a possibility. The market is just too small to support a high-tech business like this. However, my two stokers have been rock solid. The only mechanical part is blower and that can be bought elsewhere. I would just buy extra probes anyway and have that as back up. The rest should work indefinitely.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I did notice that it is less expensive to order the Stoker with seperate devices (fan,adapter) than in a package deal? Probably a mistake. </div></BLOCKQUOTE> I don't think the basic system comes with the blower. If you add the blower I believe it is more expensive than the package deal.

Thanks Ed,Amir,& A.Vale,

Yes guys, I am into (novice) computers. My first computer was bought in 1986 (IBM 8088) My wife told me, at that time, it was the most expensive "toy" I ever bought! It cost around $4000 (in todays dollars that would probably around $8000). Meanwhile, today I can't get my wife away from a computer!

I do like the idea of the Stoker having "unlimited" inputs for food & fan devices let alone the computer control. As far as going out of business, I guess I could repair it myself as some of my background is electronics. The DigiQ sounds very "simple" and I almost ordered one but, started comparing features and the Stoker does have more. I think (if I have time today) I am going to Take the plunge and make a decision and order one or the other. By the way, A.Vale, you are right on the fan for the Stoker. I guess I got the two units mixed up.
Amir, can I kind of "depend" on you for a little help if I go with the Stoker?
Thanks to all who helped & commented. I really appreciated all your responses. I will let you know what I decide (maybe later today). I live in Central Florida and I guess if I ordered the Stoker it will take a while to get here.

John Winner

Well, I got through to John at Rocks Bar-b-que and he was VERY nice. He answered all my questions and I pulled the trigger and bought a basic plus system & WSM adapter. I decided to go with the 5 CFM fan as he said that would be totally efficent for the WSM. I know the DigiQ is a terrific unit but, due to the option to add as many fans, temperature devices etc. (that I will want to do in the future) decided on Stoker. I will also use the network hookup (after I get used to the unit).
Thanks to all for your comments...now just waiting to receive my new Stoker either Saturday or Tuesday. John said it would be shipped today. Can't wait...like Christmas in May!!

John, assuming you don't have a wired network connection where your smoker is, use the "waiting time" to purchase a wireless ethernet adapter and setting it up to work on your wireless network. For what it is worth I have had good luck with the Buffalo Tech wireless ethernet adapter. In addition download Amir's application and play with it. You can simulate a cook with his app. Congrats!

Back