New to me Q200 anything I need to do to is right away?

Bob L

TVWBB Super Fan
Found a Q200 with cart and empty propane tank (looks like standard size tank) on CL for $40. All I need now is a cover for it.

I see that it does not have a thermometer on it, Can I drill a hole in t he lid and just add one? Any other mods that need to be done with it?

I have read some posts and everybody seems to like it. It will be nice to have a gasser for those quick meals.

I am pretty excited !

Hope my OTG and Performer don't get too jealous!

Bob
No need to add a thermometer. it is a nice to have b ut I survived for 3 years without one. Preheat for 10 minutes with the gas control knob set to start/high then turn down 2 strokes from high to do the majority of your grilling/cooking.

The Q is an awesome BBQ which I have found to be extremely versatile.

read some of my postrs regarding the set-up method for indirect cooking.

Regards

Phil =

Thanks for the info. I will check on your posts. I am pretty stoked, from what I have read about the grill, they are really nice.

Relax Bob, for a good quick steak or burger or anything you want to throw on the little Q grill can be grilled beautifully without the need for a thermo guage.
Just start it on high for about 10 minutes or so with the lid down untill you can see it really smoking out the sides...then it is hot enough to open lid, give the grill bars a good quick scrape with a good brass grill brush, oil some paper towel and rub on the grill bars using some kitchen tool to hold the towel so it won't burn your fingers then close the lid for a further 2 minutes for the heat to get back up again then open up and throw your steaks on and sit back with a nice cold beer in hand and listen to the sizzle....aaahhh heaven!!

cheers

Davo

mine always smokes a bit. i don't clean the grate until my next cook and the heat up. but i'll tell ya one thing, it takes a bit longer to heat up when its about 30 deg or so as it is now. just gonna do a quick cook on some sliced butt steaks. brrrrrrr.

George
30 degrees (F) is a little cold for me I think I will stay in the sunny climes of Australia.
I brush mine after use and give the bottom of the Q a quick scrape and wipe after it has cooled down. the cleaning regime has become a habit over the years.

Regards

well, the cook came out ok. had to keep it on high. took more than double the time. i think a charcoal fire woulda been better only that it would have kept me warmer. something about fire and cold. i clean the grill purty good after several cooks so it doesn't really get bad at all. got my plastic scraper so it goes quickly. i'm gonna try lining the lower part with foil and see how that goes. been laying awake trying to figure out a way to instal a smoke box that is easily installed and removed. i'm close.

Well I can see this section gets alot of action
icon_frown.gif

I wrote this grill off, since I never heard back from the seller. However, I just heard from her and going to pick it up this Saturday.

YEAH!

Good for you Bob. You will have a lot of fun with it.
I spent 5 hours every Saturday from the end of september til Xmas showing people how to cook on the Q series and cooked a large variety of dishes. Every day was different and I had people come back 5 Saturdays in a row to get more hints.
The most popular was skinless chicken breast fillet with asparagus spears.

Preheat on high for 10 minutes then turn down 2 strokes from high for a target temp of 450 - 475. Brush Chicken Breast with oil both sides. Season with salt on one side, brush asparagus spears with oil and season with salt & a sprinkle of pepper.
Grill chicken on one side for 3 minutes turn and put asparagus on grill, cook Chicken and asparagus for 1 1/2 minutes and turn asparagus. Cook chicken and asparagus for a further 1 1/2 minutes and test chicken for doneness. Remove asparagus - cook chicken further if required (not normally required) serve together. The Chicken has natural flavour and is extremely moist, the asparagus taste compliments the chicken flavour and gives a fresh taste. The salt enhances all the flavours and gives a sharpness. I generally don't use the pepper as I think it takes away some of the natural flavour.

Enjoy, Regards

wow, that long to reply. but at that price its worth the wait. you will love it. the temp gauge is nice but not necessary. if mine didn't have it i don't think i would "miss" it. so now you can make this post busy with yer pics
icon_smile.gif

as to a smoker, i'm now leaning towards making my own cold smoker. thus i can use it for other stuff also. to cold for me outside right now to be messing around though.

Phil - that sounds like a lot of fun, cooking demonstrations ! I will try the chicken recipe. and I love grilled vegetables, so the asparagas sounds good.

George - I am pretty stoked. My wife actually asked the other day "so do you think I could use this grill?" SO I guess I will have to share to Q with her. However, I guess she forgot that my sister is the primary/sole chief on her Performer.

The female owner is playing safe (good for her) and we are planning on meeting at Turtleback Park in NJ. I feel like a character out of a spy novel. (opps I guess we will have to meet somewhere else, it is a industrial park !

Well it is official- proud owner of a very used Q200 thanks to Craig - For 120 miles & $40 I got:

Q200
Weber Stand
Full size empty propane tank
Grill brush

In the same trip, dropped off yeast for my brother (from Christmas, for beer making) and fixed my cousins computer, so I was able to maximize my mileage for this trip.

The owner moved and could not use it in her new place. She stated she used it 9 months out of the year, and it looks like it. However, being a Weber, I am positive a little cleaning and it will look/run like new.

My cousin, who cooks on charcoal only, was making fun of me cause he knows I cook on charcoal. However, I feel confident that my charcoal and gas grills will get along fine.

I know what I am cooking on this weekend.

theres always a place for a weber q. i love mine but do notice that it just doesn't have that finishing taste of hot coals. not to say the food is bad, its just fine, but----. yer gonna love it.

Thanks George -

I think it will be fine for a lot of meals, and also as a side grill for my performer. (Just ask Phil)

For example, I love corn on the cob on the grill. The Q would be great for this. Or a quick meal during the week, etc, etc, etc.

Bob - have you cooked on the Weber Q yet? I've got one set up in the garage, just waiting for me to push it outside, fire it up and put food on it. However, everything I decide that tonight's the night, my Weber Kettle looks up at me with those sad Kettle Grill eyes and I end up firing up the charcoal!

Let us know things turn out on the Q!

Pat

Pat -

I was away this weekend, so I haven't cooked on it yet. It is pretty dirty-that alone would not stop me, but the flame is pretty low on the grill. I think it need a good cleaning before I can use it.

I live in NJ and it is pretty cold, so I think it is also charcoal for me. How did your meal turn out?

Originally posted by Bob L:
Pat -

I was away this weekend, so I haven't cooked on it yet. It is pretty dirty-that alone would not stop me, but the flame is pretty low on the grill. I think it need a good cleaning before I can use it.

Bob
Give it a clean, Check the spider guard that is located on the gas pipe next to the gas control and ensure that it is not blocked.
Turn the gas off at the bottle and at the gas control on the Q, wait 30 seconds. Slowly turn the gas on at the bottle and wait 20 - 30 seconds then turn the gas control knob to start and light. This should correct any regulator problem and your Q should come up to temp in 10 minutes.

The flame may seem low but it ius generally about 1/2 - 3/4 inch high maximum. Check to see that the flame is blue not yellow.

Regards

Back