Sausages

Peter Gallagher

TVWBB Wizard
Give a man a Brat and he’ll eat today – Teach a man to stuff mush into hog casings, and he’ll eat for a lifetime.

We made 4 type of sausages on Saturday. We did the keilbasa & smoked chicken and garlic from Rulhman's book and hot Italian and poultry from Aidell's book.

(First attempt at posting pictures, so bare with me if this didn't work)

6945640411_c2ee9bc5bf_z.jpg

getting ready:

6799529970_02a7a58e00_z.jpg

chicken ready to grind:

6945640319_6779761eef_z.jpg

now we're getting someplace

6799529862_8786f0853a_z.jpg

before:

6799529886_8d17156dc7_z.jpg

after:

6945640509_40ec693339_z.jpg

one more - Smoked chicken

I've been meaning to crank out a batch of chorizo sausages & i think you just helped! I thank you
icon_wink.gif

Awesome sausages Peter! If I can add any sort of tip, it would be to keep an eye on your smoker temperatures. If you cook too hot or for too long you'll start to render the fat inside, which is what makes the finished product wrinkle. I want to say it's about 155 internal and I try to keep well under 200 in the smoker. Message me if you want specifics and I'll look them up for you. Not that I'd kick those out of my kitchen!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jon Des.:
Awesome sausages Peter! If I can add any sort of tip, it would be to keep an eye on your smoker temperatures. If you cook too hot or for too long you'll start to render the fat inside, which is what makes the finished product wrinkle. I want to say it's about 155 internal and I try to keep well under 200 in the smoker. Message me if you want specifics and I'll look them up for you. Not that I'd kick those out of my kitchen! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks for the info - I appreciate the information. Yea, that sort of bugged me. Based on your critique, I would imagine they cooked too long as opposed to too hot. I have a Stoker attached to the pit, and they cooked at a consistent 180 degrees. I pulled them at an internal temp 150 for the pork and 160 for the poultry. I was expecting maybe a 3-4 hour cook, and they took around 5. They were both emulsified type sausages and while shriveled on the outside, they appeared fine on the inside and tasted great, albeit with a bit of a shriveled & tough casing.

Do feel there's a point that if they've been in there long enough, regardless of the food's internal temp its fine to yank them? When I do bunch like I did I end up giving most of them away, so I'm always conscious of the fact that I don't poison any of my neighbors.

You read a lot of smoked sausage recipes and they say cook at 180 degrees until they reach an internal temp of 160. About 2 hours. I've *never* been able to smoke a sausage at 180 degrees for 2 hours and got it anywhere close to even 120 degrees much less 160 on my pit.

thanks for the feedback - It's all an experiment.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dave from Denver:
Cool smokehouse you got there Peter. You build it? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
thanks - I did not build it. Its a Klose Back Yard Chef pit:

6948266171_2f0b6a608a_z.jpg

the shriveled casing issue might be addressed by your cooling process - if you dip the sausages directly in an ice bath to completely cool them off and then into warm water, and then air dry, you probably won't see wrinkled skins.

Good call. I took some out for lunch today but first popped them in some warm water. They de-shriveled in about an minute. Too bad I sealed them all up last week - doh!

thanks for the tip. It all seems pretty obvious now. Next time they'll get a warm bath after their post-smoke ice water dunk.

That's it - a quick shock in icewater will stop the carryover heat from cooking them past your desired temp. Sounds like you have it figured out, so I'm looking forward to the next batch!

Back