Temperature probe needed

Hello folks,
I'm now ready to quit opening my lid to get an internal temp. Pics I've seen have a temp probe inserted into the meat and a cable running thru the top vent to a reader. Thats what I want.
Please share with me what you have and why you are happy.
I need your input.
Thanks for everything
Tommy

I just ordered the Maverick ET73. It has two probes, one for grate temp and one for internal temp and transmits wirelessly to a receiver inside the house.

I haven't received it yet so I can't give any real feedback on it, but I searched around here on the forum and it had great reviews. Figured I'd snag it for $40 and try it out.

I've got this and love it. It has two probes so you can monitor both meat and pit temp. The wires connect to a transmitter that sends a signal to a wireless receiver so you can monitor the temps remotely. Some have range issues but it works pretty well at my house. You can set an alarm for the meat probe and a hi AND low range for the pit. It's invaluable for overnight cooks.

Edit: Ooops. Looks like JasonJ was posting as I was typing.

I installed sensor eyelets in the side to run my thermometers probes through.
Right now I'm using Taylor thermo's but have a dual probe Maverick ordered.

I have the ET-7 and to be honest i really dont like it that much. Range is awful! Just curious I put one probe in the meat and let the other one dangle from the top vent so I can get smoker chamber (and that temp seems to be off)....how do you do it?

Tommy, love my ET73. Just replaced my old one that finally went up in smoke
icon_smile.gif
You just have to understand it's limitations. It has a limited range of operation. Also, if you go above a certain temp on the probes(I think like 400) you can fry them and you have to get new a new one. But you can also monitor two different meats simultaneously or use one probe as a back up lid thermostat or a grate stat. Lots of options

I've been using my ET-73 for awhile now and love it. easy to use. some people have trouble with range transmission, but I've been fine with it. Just keep the batteries fresh.

Mine came in today. I set it up and stuck it outside by my WSM and brought the receiver inside. Worked like a charm.

I don't have the eyelets so now I'm trying to figure out how I'm going to run this thing. I think people poke it through the top vent, but I would think that would pull the probe if you take the lid off to turn the meat wouldn't it?

I have the Maverick and I just run them out from under the lid and they work fine. Just take a little care putting the lid down so you don't smash them and they will be fine.

Thanks Guys for responces
I have ordered the ET-73 and the eyelets to access the inside of the lid.
They wont be here for my tri tip on Sat. but I'll be ready for my next cook.
Thanks again, this board is wealth of info.
Bee Happy,
Tommy

I found that when drilling the hole for the eyelets that the step-down bit works like a champ.
I measured where I wanted to install it, put down some painters tape and drilled a small pilot hole and then used the step-down bit. It took all of 5min start to finish. The step down bit is expensive so if you don't have one then ask your buddies to maybe borrow it.

Back