finally got time for the mod

Dan H.

TVWBB Pro
Finally finshed the extra vent mod. SOOOO glad I did cause its gettin old tryin to keep the fire at least a little hot. Cant wait to try it out but that will have to wait till tomarrow for some burgers cause its 9:30 now. Anyway decided on this after seeing pics from J.D. McGee's grill, and Bryan S. re-enforcing that he was still happy w/ his and that he'd do it again, etc. The only thing I wasn't liking was the little tiny space between the grill and the coal catching pan. I got my parts in and analyzed and measured and I don't even know how J.D. got that bolt in there to be honest,
icon_wink.gif
(not that its important or matters but I just thought I may as well figure out a fix). So anyway I used the hydrolic rebar bender (used for work) to bend the legs as you'll see in the pics. I dreamed that up about 3 or so weeks ago and it worked fairly ok, although its not gonna win a beauty pageant. Thats ok because steaks don't care about beauty pageants!
icon_biggrin.gif

heres what happened.
pic 1
pic 2
pic 3
pic 4
I gave it a small shot of high heat grill paint around the holes when done, just a small amount for inside the holes. Also the unibit was sweet. I was originaly going to bend the legs ONCE and cut off the excess, and re-drill new holes (the excess being the existing holes it came with, I visualized cutting about an inch or so) but then in the middle of working it dawned on me I could just give one more bend to make those existing holes horizontal once again and save my drill bit, batteries, and time. Its not as pretty that way and it gives it a "funky" look, but not to bad, and honestly I didn't care to much, lol. When fully assembled I don't think anyone would even know the difference, looks like she came that way. Now I have an 1 1/2" clearance to the finger twist bolt thing, and about 4" or so from pan to kettle bottom, ...sweet. whatcha think!? thanks guys for the ideas, never would have done it w/ out em. If I could do it again I would order the original Smokey Joe pan, for this "Silver" pan is a flimsy joke
icon_frown.gif
. (I had no idea cause I don't own one) I never would have though the Original SJ pan would have been stronger, but this one will be ok, its just a bit more prone to bending but its not in a position where it should be beaten to badly I guess. (for those of you doing the mod in the future.)

*by the way did I put together the bottom finger twisty thing that attaches the vent control handle and blades, together correctly? never owned one before and instruction manuals are for chimney starters
icon_wink.gif
Just thought it looked a little funny but pretty sure thats the only way it goes. thanks.

*for George Curtis: If I remember right I paid 30.00 on sale for the grill, and like basicly 20.00 for parts. I don't know what a 18.5 One Touch costs but I bet you do, so I was thinking that you may be correct depending on costs about "why not buy the 18.5 instead and chop the legs off?" lol. So turns out I may be with you there (depending on price). But it was fun too, so I don't know. Basicly what Im saying is if I didn't have a rebar bender, your idea is probably what I would have done looking back now, because that tiny, cramped, space between ash catcher and sweep, that would have been there (if i didn't bend) would have been slightly aggervating maybe (to me
icon_wink.gif
). Just thought you could give the price for me to give others something to consider, if they too, were disapointed in the heat/vent setting on the SJP. Then again I have a few extra holes now too, I don't know
icon_wink.gif
this will be great for travel to though (w/ the lid holder and leg size etc., and that makes me happy)

Dan - super job! Thanks for posting the pictures.

I just finished drilling the holes and doing the high temp paint touch up for my SJP mod.

I opted to do the smaller vent on the bottom, with four holes corresponding to the holes on the vent.

I then drilled through the tab on the vent and inserted an 8" carriage bolt for adjusting the vent, using two lock nuts to hold it in place.

I haven't yet decided how to deal with the ash catcher.

I'll post some pics when its finished.

Thanks again for the instructions and the pics.

Pat

thats a pretty good thought you had w/ the cariage bolt and drilling the vent tab. I gotta see those pictures, thats pretty sweet idea, good job. You know what that sounds easier too.
icon_wink.gif

dan, used 18.5 one touches can be had on craigslist for 20.00 and less at times. folks also talk about finding them for nothing. i think i saw one for free in the sf bay area. one needs some patience and eyes open. yer job still looks great.

Back