Genesis - How hot will it get?

Sam Conni

I bought a new Genesis 310 LP recently. Have been having issues with the grill not getting as hot as others I have talked to. It eventually gets pretty hot, 500 on the built in thermo, but it takes more than half an hour to do so. Weber states that it should reach 500 within 10 minutes.

Others with the same grill have told me theirs gets as hot as 700 within 15-20 minutes.

I have had Weber send me a new regulator. Then a new manifold with regulator. I suggested maybe it had a problem with the burners, they are going to send a tech to look at it.

I was curious if anyone has experience this kind of problem that is unrelated to the safety valve that keeps it under 300 degrees.

I have tried 3 different propane tanks, Blue Rhino, Flamesaver and a plain Worthington tank.

Thanks

Sam
If you are opening the tank slowly then it definetly sounds as if it is a burner problem. there hay be a foreign oject in the tube/jet. It is a Technician job and would be covered under warranty.

Your 310 should get up to over 500 in 10 minutes and up to 650 in 20 minutes (weather dependant). On a hot day here (37C) I can overclock mine at 700F - it sure does steaks quick.
With front and rear on high I get 500 +

Regards

Thanks Phil,

Hopefully the tech can work it out.

When you say "overclock" are you using a different regulator or other methods?

sam

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Sam Conni:
Thanks Phil,

Hopefully the tech can work it out.

When you say "overclock" are you using a different regulator or other methods?

sam </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

They (Weber Australia) say that the 320 will go up to 650,I can get mine up to 700. We have different regulators in Australia. Be careful as I know that my set up uses more gas than the 320 that I demonstrate on It only goes up to 650 on a hot day.

regards
Phil

I have the weber 320 which I got last year and when I first got it I could not get the temp to go up above 400 after 30 minutes so I called the company.
They told me that when I turn the burner control knobs to the first position that is high. I felt really stupid about it since I figured if you turn the knobs all the way it was high, but in fact if I turned them all the way it was actually low.
Well that solved my problem and the temp shot up.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Harvey K:
I have the weber 320 which I got last year and when I first got it I could not get the temp to go up above 400 after 30 minutes so I called the company.
They told me that when I turn the burner control knobs to the first position that is high. I felt really stupid about it since I figured if you turn the knobs all the way it was high, but in fact if I turned them all the way it was actually low.
Well that solved my problem and the temp shot up. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Don't feel bad, I did the same damn thing. However that is not the problem for me. I have had all the gas related parts replaced. In comparing my grill to others that I know - they are blasting temperatures much higher than mine. It seems mine is in the spec range of 500 degrees in 10 minutes so Weber says whats the problem??

Someone told me to try a Charbroil regulator instead of a Weber. Looking at one in Home Depot it looks pretty much like the same cheap device. I can't imagine that they are any different.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Sam Conni:

Someone told me to try a Charbroil regulator instead of a Weber. Looking at one in Home Depot it looks pretty much like the same cheap device. I can't imagine that they are any different. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Although regulators look the same they come in all different ranges. You have low pressure and high pressure regulators. Then they range from 1psi to 30psi. They might even go higher than 30psi, but I never saw any. You have to be carefull if you plan on switching the regulator. Low pressure burners and high pressure burners are different. Of course the high pressure burner will flow more gass than the low pressure ones.
icon_wink.gif
The aftermarket regulators I have are marked with the psi on them. HTH
icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bryan S:
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>
icon_wink.gif
The aftermarket regulators I have are marked with the psi on them. HTH
icon_smile.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Bryan: Can you give me an example of some of the ones you are talking about. Manufacturers name/model number and PSI. The ones for the Weber don't seem to have the PSI listed. I am assuming that they are 1 psi.

Thanks

sam

Bryan: Can you give me an example of some of the ones you are talking about. Manufacturers name/model number and PSI. The ones for the Weber don't seem to have the PSI listed. I am assuming that they are 1 psi.

Thanks

sam </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Sure can Sam. One place
And where I bought mine.

Back