first thanksgiving turkey!

Jon Hymers

hello

I know... another newbie post about turkey! These boards are awesome!!!

I am pulling the trigger on smoking my fist turkey on my weber otg 22" this weekend for thanksgiving (I'm Canadian). I have done beer can chicken before with ok results (skin was not crispy) would like to get some advice on how to go about it?

I plan to use the brine recipe from this web site for a 24 hour soak and let dry in the fridge. never brined anything before and don't know what to expect but it seems easy. Chuck some rub on the bird and put it on the grill! It's a 15 lbs bird and from what I have read at 300'-350' should take 3-4 hours?

I don't know how I will build the fire, bank all the coals to one side like I have always done or bank two small coal fires on ether side and have the bird sit in the middle of the grill? also what do you find better, having the turkey sitting in a roosting pan with broth and veggies or have a pan under the grilling grate catching the drippings?

also I was thinking of basting the turkey with apple juice?

how dose that plan sound for my fist time?

Cheers!

It has been years since I have done a turkey. The first one that I did was on a 18.5 OTS. Now that I have a smoker, I might give it another whirl.

Anyway, for something big, I like the two fire method with the bird in the middle. I also prefer the drip pan underneath.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.
Brett

You are probably going to be better off banking the coals off to the sides so the Tom will sit in the center. This way you will have a little more clearance. Your temps sound good for some crispy skin. Don't go off time so much. Use your thermometer and get readings from both sides of the turkey. Better safe than sorry!!

Yes coals on one side and you could use some fire bricks so the radiant heat wont be as tough. But a 15lb on a 22"
icon_rolleyes.gif
Will it fit? And i "if" i basted at all would be melted butter.

Just stumbled onto this post. I hope Jon comes back with results. I too was thinking about the 15# bird on a 22" kettle. I used to do 11 - 12 pounders on a 22, but after not doing any for years I tried a 16 pounder a few weeks ago and it was a disaster. Wouldn't fit on the grate and couldn't get fire brick to shield it when I put it on the charcoal grate. Ended up putting it on a really tall roast rack. Breast came out great but thighs and legs were a bit toasty shall we say.

Back