first comp with new team

Anthony Martino

TVWBB Member
came in 33 out of 45, 12th in brisket the chicken, PP, ribs down in the 30's. the PP i over cooked , the chicken is my achilles heal, but my ribs is what I was most disappointed with the flavor was flat. used same rub as before could useing a rib rack have an effect???

Anonthy, congrats on making all your turn ins and not being DAL. The 1st one is hard and you will get better. Hope you had fun and after a suitable recovery enter another.

Mark

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mk evenson:
Anonthy, congrats on making all your turn ins and not being DAL. The 1st one is hard and you will get better. Hope you had fun and after a suitable recovery enter another.

Mark </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

What is "DAL"?

Seems like a pretty solid finish in my book. I'm always a bit skeptical when I hear about some team coming to their very first competition and winning everything. The chances of it actually happening are unbelievably slim.

The rib rack could possibly have made a difference. If you went with a light dusting of rib rub then it could have gotten rinsed off if the grease rolled down the rib plank and took the rub with it. Maybe.

That's what test cooks at home are all about. Cook it at home EXACTLY the same way you cook it at the comp. That way there's no surprises at comp.

One other tidbit. I've found that I need to cook a recipe at last 2 or 3 times at comps to get a good feeling as to how it really is working. Making a decision about a flavor profile based on one comp can be misleading.

Russ

Back