Wok - worth the cost?

Clark Deutscher

TVWBB All-Star
I was just reading through the previous reviews and went to look for one of the woks (the one that replaces the grates on the kettle). Problem is the only place out here I can find them is at Home Depot and they are selling for $90. I thought maybe it was a typo but apparently not so......do the folks who have used one of these feel it is worth it? Are fajitas, jumbalay etc....actually that much better on the kettle? Thanks!

Clark

I have a genuine Weber SS Wok which I started to use and develop some dishes with. I enjoy using it for special dishes, it is more about showmanship when entertaining than anything else. When entertaining with the wok I use my old kettle with the wok and the performer for other dishes.
I do garlic or chilli prawns (or seafood) in a creamy sauce in the wok and them serve them in bread roll cases. I cut the top off some dinner rolls and remove the middle leaving a crusty case and then cook the roll and the top indirectly for about 5 minutes to harden them up and make them crusty and then just spoon some of the garlic or chilli seafood mixture in and serve with the lid back on. - as I said it's all about showmanship.

Bottom line it depends on what type of cooking you want to do wether or not it is worth purchasing, but don't forget - He who dies with the most BBQ toys wins.

Regards

The Weber Wok (22-1/2 inch) is available for about $ 40 to $ 50 online, plus shipping.

Just do a search on Google Products, My Simon, etc.

I got my genuine Weber SS Wok for about 20 bucks at a clearance sale at Home Depot. It's well worth 20 but I don't know if it's worth 90.

Bill

Thanks for all the info guys. I have seen it online cheaper problem is by the time it is shipped to Canada and I have to pay duty and brokerage on it it's still cheaper to buy at home depot! I have some thinking to do. Thanks again for all the info and opinions!

Clark

Back