New to gas grills

AL. T

TVWBB Member
I have always used a charcoal grill, but I just picked up a Genesis gas grill, for what I thought would be quick cooks in a hurry. It seems to work pretty good, but I dont think it gets very hot, do they ever get very hot ?? or is it a thing I need to get used to ? I like it but it seems to take longer than the coal grill. thanks .....AL

Al
Turn on and light the front burner, then turn on centre and rear, close the lid and preheat for 10 minuites. Temp should hit 500+.
Do all grilling with the lid down. All on high for 15 it shoud be between 550 and 650 depending on ambient temp.

However these temps are obtained using propane in Australia. I am not sure on the gas quality/burn mix in North America. I understand that you guys have problems from time to time with regulators if you turn them on quickly.
One of the adavantages of gas in Australia is that it works out at about 60-70 cents an hour compared to $3.50 for briquettes and $4.50 for charcoal.

Regards

Originally posted by Phil Hartcher:
Al
Turn on and light the front burner, then turn on centre and rear, close the lid and preheat for 10 minuites. Temp should hit 500+.
Do all grilling with the lid down. All on high for 15 it shoud be between 550 and 650 depending on ambient temp.

However these temps are obtained using propane in Australia. I am not sure on the gas quality/burn mix in North America. I understand that you guys have problems from time to time with regulators if you turn them on quickly.
One of the adavantages of gas in Australia is that it works out at about 60-70 cents an hour compared to $3.50 for briquettes and $4.50 for charcoal.

Regards

As Phil stated, turn the gas on slowly so as to not set off the regulator and also make sure the lid is up when you turn on the gas and fire up the burners. I easily hit 550-600 within 15 minutes of firing up my Genesis.

Al, if your grill is used, you should check your burners and see if any of the holes are clogged with gunk. When I got a Genesis from my father, I removed the flavorizer bars and noticed some of the small holes in the burners were clogged. I cleared them out with a paper clip and definitely noticed increased heat output.

Back