lodge grill pan

Tony C.

TVWBB Wizard
anyone here own this one? http://www.amazon.com/Lodge-Logic-Pre-Seasoned-Square-G...id=1215397120&sr=8-3

looking for something to do a few steaks or burgers on inside when it's pouring outside. i am tired of the foreman as it's a pain in the rear to clean and it doesn't make pretty grill marks
icon_razz.gif

I have this pan......my S.O. hates it when I cook in it...it's not an easy clean up with high heat grilling of steaks and chops and the splatters and smoke in the house.....results are ok.....certainly not like over charcoal but its ok.
I actually prefer the Foreman.....I put it on top of the cook top and put the exhaust fan on high...since the meat is covered on both sides there is less splatters...and it's non-stick.....so I think cleanup is easier....IMHO..

i figured splatter and smoke would be a problem on high heat cooks. i have a splatter screen that would take care of that, but our stovetop vent is not vented to the outside. it just has a carbon filter in it. that could be a problem.

I bought one of those about 10 years ago. I didn't use it much - it smoked more than my WSM. It did some 1" thick T-bones pretty decently, but took aggravatingly long (about 12 minutes a side for medium rare, over a gas range). Gave it away to Goodwill about 2 years ago.

In inclement weather, I much prefer to simply fry steaks and burgers in a flat, nonstick frying pan with a smidge of oil for steaks. I don't bother trying to sear too high since that can obviously burn off the nonstick coating. An electric griddle would work great, as well, but is tougher to clean.

I have the 12 x 12 griddle. Can't be used inside without a tremendous amount of smoke. But I found if I sit it atop of coals, I can cook thick steaks that come out like a steakhouse.

I've been looking for a reversable mainly for outdoor use on the gasser or Ranch Kettle. I have an indoor electric (smooth surface only) that we use inside. It's an old Presto (20 or 25 years) but it works just fine. We have used the Foreman grill but only for burgers or boneless chicken and the occasional hotdog.. It's a plug and grill so we have no control. Anyway, I've been looking at Griswold and Wagner but Griswold doesn't seem to have a reversable out there and the Wagner's always go for more than I want to spend. Might just have to go the Lodge route.
icon_wink.gif

Bill

I picked mine up at a garage sale. It's from Russell Range. Although it's meant to only use on the grill side, I do use the flat underside sometimes as a griddle. It seems to work fine in the bbq but wouldn't set straight on my stovetop.

FWIW, when I used a Foreman, I found that the best way to clean it was to use the leftover heat to my advantage.

I would fold up 3 or 4 wet paper towels and set them on the grill once my food came off. Close the lid and it steams the gunk right off.

I use this method to clean the electric skillet after I make pancakes.

Originally posted by Jeff Smith:
FWIW, when I used a Foreman, I found that the best way to clean it was to use the leftover heat to my advantage.

I would fold up 3 or 4 wet paper towels and set them on the grill once my food came off. Close the lid and it steams the gunk right off.

I use this method to clean the electric skillet after I make pancakes.

Great tip thanks....I always fight with mine once it's cooled. No More!!

Back