Ole Man Jim's Meat Loaf

Chris Allingham

Administrator
Staff member
Reposting this recipe here from the Beginner's Forum.

-----------

Many people are raving about this recipe. I think it came from Q-Fest in Glen Rose, TX...not the Jack Daniels like I had thought. Anyway, it is great, I just had some for dinner.

Ole Man Jim's Meat Loaf
Yield: 2 large loafs

5 lb Ground chuck roast
2-1/2 lb Ground Pork
2 lg Onions, minced
2 Bell peppers, minced
16 oz Italian seasoned bread crumbs
2 oz Cajun Bbq rub
2 ts Thyme
2 ts Sage
6 lg Eggs, beaten
1/4 c Danny's glaze*
1/4 c Sesame Oil
1/3 c Danny's glaze for topping

GLAZE (Danny's Glaze)
1 c Brown sugar
1/4 c Apple cider vinegar
1/4 c Yellow prepared mustard

PREPARING DANNY'S GLAZE
Place brown sugar, vinegar and yellow mustard in a small pot and bring to a simmer (Do not boil.)

PREPARING MEATLOAF
Thoroughly hand mix first eleven (11)ingredients and form into 2 equal loaves. Place each loaf into a foil loaf pan and place both into a 275*F pit for 2-1/2 hours. Remove from pit, brush tops with Danny's glaze and return to pit for 15 more minutes.

Drain fat from loafs, slice and serve.

--------------------
Rocky

I'm guessing you could get away with just about any of the Creole seasonings at the grocery store like Konriko, Luzianne, Tony Cachere, etc. You could also make the rub found in the Basic Brined Turkey topic on the Web site this month. It uses Konriko as a base plus other ingredients.

Regards,
Chris

/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif No wonder this mega-meatloaf won a ribbon! MMMMM-mmmmm! These were two of the best meatloaves I've ever made (or tasted, for that matter)!

I did make a few small adjustments (to salve my conscience and everyone's arteries):

I used:
3 pounds ground chuck
2 1/2 pounds ground turkey breast
2 pounds ground pork

I sauteed 4 1/2 cups diced onions in 1 tablespoon pure olive oil (will increase the onions a bit next time)

Note that 2 ounces of Cajun BBQ rub = 4 tablespoons (I used Tony Chachere's Original)

I used the 1/3-1/3-1 cup proportions for Danny's Glaze and that was fine.

I made a finishing sauce using 1 part Danny's Glaze to 5 or 6 parts of Ron Lutz's Favorite BBQ Sauce (from his book).

I cut the sesame oil to 2 tablespoons.

I used 1 small chunk hickory (2 oz) + 4 small chunks apple (4 oz) and a temperature range of 263-275 for 3 hours (top rack) and 3 1/2 hours (bottom rack) to 160* internal temp (perfect).

Cooked weight: 2 loaves, 74 oz/4.6 pounds each. Next time I'm thinking of making 3 or 4 smaller loaves.

I hand-shaped the loaves free-form, with squared-off ends for even cooking. Chris's suggestion of using 12" foil pizza pans worked great. The loaves were very attractive and nicely browned on the outside. Seasoning was perfect with a noticeable, but not over-the-top heat. It would be too much for one group of friends, so I'll have to figure out a homemade Cajun seasoning without the heat (can you imagine?)!

QUESTIONS:

1. By the way, is the sesame oil supposed to be the dark Asian variety or the cold-pressed light-colored sesame oil?

2. I'm thinking of making a few meat loaves ahead and freezing them whole for gifts. Has anyone had any experience with this? I've only frozen leftover slices and they seem to reheat fine.

So Kudos to Ole Man Jim for the best meat loaf! (He wouldn't be "our" Jim, would he?)

Rita

I made this meatloaf yesterday using Rita's
adjustments.I must say it was yummy! Thank you
all for a great recipe.

Chris
wsmsmile8gm.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Sean Ruff:
WOW. Great meatloaf recipe. What about reheating after freezing? Any suggestions?

Sean </div></BLOCKQUOTE>My favorite for leftovers is mentioned in other messages:
"slice and brown (both sides) under the broiler."

Any idea what would happen if I cooked it with a couple of racks of spare ribs at a 250 lid temp. It would be cooking in the spare space one on the top rack and one on the bottom rack. What would that do to the cook time and how would it change the finished product?

It may take a bit longer to cook, depending on the total number of pounds. Other than that, I wouldn't anticipate any problems.

I use my own Cajun Powder that way I control how much heat. Less heat for my Wife and More Heat for me!

HOME MADE CAJUN POWDER

Mix together the following ingredients.

Non-spicy ingredients:

1/3 cup kosher salt
1 Tablespoon onion powder
1 Tablespoon dried basil
1 Tablespoon dried oregano
1 Tablespoon ground coriander
2 teaspoons dried thyme

for Slightly spicy add:

1/4 cup Hungarian paprika
1/4 teaspoon white pepper

or

for Spicy add:

1/4 cup chili powder
1/4 teaspoon cumin
1 Tablespoon coarsely ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper

I make a meatloaf similar but don't use the glaze. Stuff is great the next day if it lasts that long

Did this one last night, and awww man. The wife said it was excellent which is rare coming from her (especially since she is not a big beef fan). Followed recipe exactly and made Chris's Carrot Salad, a couple of peppers stuffed with cream cheese and sausage, and sweet potato baked fries. Before and after pics. Sorry bout the after pic, but was dark/late and we were hungry so this is all I could fit in with the flashlight.

Definitely try this recipe.
startmeatloaf.jpg
endmeatloaf.jpg

Hi, all.
I've been a lurker for some time now and I basically registered to say how great this recipe is.
I followed the recipe pretty closely (changes detailed below) and it turned out simply magnificent.

I tried for a half batch.

-I got 'one lb' packages of 80/20 gnd chuck, 80/20 gnd pork and turkey. The 'one lb' is quoted because the store i went to has these packages more like 1.3 to 1.4. This was a good amount for two people to eat for days with one loaf pan filled and a second smaller load probably about a pound..
-I bought fresh sage but dried it in the microwave and ground right before use.
-I minced a large red pepper and one medium and one smallish onion.
-I put in 2 tbs of sesame oil but I'd add a little more next time. It smelled really, really when mixing the raw ings but I think the sesame got lost after it cooked.
-For the Cajun Rub, I used 2 tbs of Emeril's Creole Essence.
-I gave the loaves a couple once overs with Gary Wiviott's Graduate rub.
-Into the WSM for about 4 hours, temps between 225 & 300. I probably should have taked it out a little sooner but the Bears were on and ...
-I used regular bread crumbs and put a couple shakes of dried oregano and basil to italianize them.
-I wish I made a double batch of the Danny glaze. Really tasty.
-Now, for my secret ingredient: I coated the baking pans with pomegranate molasses before adding the loaf mix. I would definately do this again, the sweet fruit taste came through.

I still have a bunch left and I'm already looking forward to the next time I make this meatloaf.

Back